Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I have a '65 Schwinn Panther that I intend on doing this with. Slowly collecting the components, but I want to keep it cheap, so the going is slow. Eventually one day...

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Something like this?

30`s Colson Flyer.I`ll post a few more Clunkers next week.
Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
jeff said:
30`s Colson Flyer.I`ll post a few more Clunkers next week.
Jeff
Very cool Jeff! I have one question about doing this sort of project: What seatposts do you use on these frames? I have a bunch of old Schwinn and offbrand frames, but they all have 13/16" or 20.5mm seattubes. I have not found any new posts in that size.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
7,696 Posts

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Big Cheese post

SDmfG said:
Very cool Jeff! I have one question about doing this sort of project: What seatposts do you use on these frames? I have a bunch of old Schwinn and offbrand frames, but they all have 13/16" or 20.5mm seattubes. I have not found any new posts in that size.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
I believe they come in 7/8 and 13/16 sizes.I`ve seen some very odd sizes on post war bikes though.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not Quite, but close ...

this is a 1952 schwinn single-bar spitfire, not original but reasonably so...

I also have an identical single speed

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
SDmfG said:
What seatposts do you use on these frames?
"Back in the day" the seatpost of choice was from a Schwinn stationary exercise bike. They were the right diameter, whatever that is, and super long, with markings for height. Much tougher and longer than the seatposts made for regular bikes.

The original reason for a SP QR was that the posts were so wimpy, and extended so far, that if you bounced on the saddle you would bend them, so you lowered the saddle to reduce the leverage on the seatpost.

·
clunker
248 Posts
Here's my 36 La Salle - also with a little (LOT) of advice from Alan Bonds and Erik at Sunshine Bikes. It's a coaster brake "shuttle" special with Morrow out back and sturmey 90mm up front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Schwinn Retro-Tech

I built this back in 1997 and 'Zap put it the July issue of Mountain Bike Magazine. I'm not sure where I got the name retro-tech but it seems to fit (well at least back in '97) I reworked a 50's frame and added aluminum bull moose bars, Thomaselli brake levers, Westpine brakes, Cook cranks, Bullseye bottom braket, re-rolled Mavic MA40 road rims, American Classic hubs, bladed front spokes, a one-off prototype fork, Ground Control tires, old Deore XT shifters etc. Sun Tour XC bear traps, drilled out Specialized chain rings, internal cable routing for both derailleurs and rear brakes, Grab-on grips and a nice old rusty Schwinn saddle from a Varsity. I welded on the rear brake bosses and the water bottle bosses. The rear triangle was just cold-set (i.e. bent) to accept the 135 mm spacing. I also built a few trailers.You can see one pictured. It's used to carry "electrolyte replenishment beverages" made from hops and grains. I really like the new movement of single speed "rat rods" (so to speak) with primer paint jobs. I think I got the bug to build something again thanks to this thread. Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle part Crankset Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.