Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I really like my Mallet pedals. I've rode mallets for 3 years now. I like them so much I bought an updated version (Mallet 1). But they have a problem which I was hoping the latest version would fix. The axels keep snapping and it's pissing me off.

I'm a 280# XC rider. I only ride XC and road on them. Mind you, Crank Brothers keeps sending me replacement axels. I love the ergonomics of the product. The Mallet 1 has excellent grip on standard shoes. But, I'm sick of having my rides spoiled.

So I now have two choices.

1) Carry a pair set of standard egg beater pedals in my Camelbak so no more rides are ruined.
2) Buy a pair of Time ATAC Zs. Buy extra cleats for my extra shoes.

I suspect I won't get the same 3 point pedal contact on the Zs as on the mallets. Nor do I think I'll get good traction when wearing street shoes. However, I've been told that the Times are super tough.

So has anyone Clydes out there ever broken Times?

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Disclaimer: I have never touched my pedals for maintenance, so take it for what it is worth.

I rode a pair of ATAC Aliums for 4 years. Have them in a box in functioning condition.
I have a pair of ATAC Zs that have been used for almost 2 years, on the trail bike.

Still haven't broken one yet!

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
Same issue here...Went through 3 sets of Mallets (2 sets were warranties from the original purchase) in well under a year. Went with the Time Z's and never looked back. Time cleats are a little stiff when new but after 3 or 4 rides they break in nicely.

You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 260 lbs and use Time ATAC's.
I love them and they are much lighter than the mallets, not that us Clydes are weight weenies.
I have broke spindles of Shimano pedals. I have also stripped the threads with Shimano pedals out of my Shimano XT cranks, that was expensive.
If you ride XC than I don't think you'll need the Z's, except maybe for bashing the opposite side of the pedals on rocks!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I hear some have managed to break Time pedals.

My ATAC XS set has been on the bike since 2006 and they are working perfectly. I think the lower profile of non-platform pedals reduces the amount of rock strikes. They stil happen sometimes but the damage seems to be cosmetic only.

·
Registered
109 Posts
does killing a bearing count?

went with shimano 646 after that. the times performed well, but the cleats wear too fast for me, seeing as how i used to gear for the downhills on my ss; hiking is a fact of life

·
CEO Product Failure
2,184 Posts
I break a drive side Time ATAC Alium spindle once a year.

When I was riding EggBeater Candies, I was breaking a spindle every other month, either drive side or non.

When I was riding Shimano 9's, I broke a spindle once every 12 mos or so. Too expensive to keep replacing.

I weigh 256lbs right now but as much as 328lbs in the past. Time's are the best bet for my money. If its an epic ride, I take a set off the SS or other spare bike (there are 5 in the garage with the same pedal set up) and throw it in the camelbak.

Good luck. Everything breaks. Last night I tore an SDG saddle off its rails whilest screwing around pre-ride in the parking lot.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bingemtbr said:
I break a drive side Time ATAC Alium spindle once a year.

When I was riding EggBeater Candies, I was breaking a spindle every other month, either drive side or non.

When I was riding Shimano 9's, I broke a spindle once every 12 mos or so. Too expensive to keep replacing.

I weigh 256lbs right now but as much as 328lbs in the past. Time's are the best bet for my money. If its an epic ride, I take a set off the SS or other spare bike (there are 5 in the garage with the same pedal set up) and throw it in the camelbak.

Good luck. Everything breaks. Last night I tore an SDG saddle off its rails whilest screwing around pre-ride in the parking lot.
Thanks, I've started coming around to the idea that I should just carry spares. Some skinny guy told me that he has bent Time Axels. So maybe they are better. But, I have 3 pairs of Mallets and a pack of axels (though I need new ones for the new mallets). Maybe what I need is a set of Stainless eggbeaters in the Camelbak and that will be enough to finish any ride.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,184 Posts
Wish I knew

CharacterZero said:
Why just the drive side? :confused:
Dunno. Maybe it's cuz I have a weird pronate to my foot position. Maybe its just coincidental. Maybe its just cuz that's my launch foot--if stopped on the trail, I start pedaling again with my right on the downstroke, and at a race I start with my right but there's really no strength or weight difference between the two legs. And actually I'm a south paw in MTK, so my left leg is the power leg.

:shrug:

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Time ATAC Z!
3 year, no issues whatsoever. 260+, + water + 40 lb bike.

Love the platform to spread the weight out and actually be able to use real people shoes when I bike with my kids around the neighorhood :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.