Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
dustintendo said:
i was just looking mone over and on either side of the downtube gusset right near the weld there is some paint that has cracked off..could this be an indication of cracked steel as well?
"Driftwood" over in the Carolina forum sheared the down tube in half right where you are describing.... then finished the last 15 miles of the Wild 100 on it.

I'd keep a close eye on it.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Cracked paint on a steel frame is almost a sure sign of something being bent. You've probably altered the head tube angle slightly and that gusset got pushed into the downtube from force applied to the head tube from a crash or a hard hit.

While the frame is not trash, it is now weaker at that spot. I own a brown MonoCog and I did the same thing, not enough to crack the paint, but enough to notice a little bulge in the downtube at the bottom of the gusset. I quit riding it offroad soon after that and now use it strictly as a commuter/city bike.

If it's bent bad enough it can also affect the handling of the bike.

Individual results will vary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not noticing any bulge or anything.. the metal where i sanded looks as smooth as can be, nothing appears to be out of line at all..could be that the previous owner did something to scratch the paint in that area..?

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Is it scratched or is the paint cracked and flaking? A scratch is a scratch but a crack sounds to me like more extensive damage, especially if it's flaking off. I wouldn't worry about scratches other than sealing deep ones with paint or nail polish so they don't rust.

There is a possibility of faulty paint if it's just flaking off but generally steel frames + cracked flaking paint = something bent

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
bhc said:
Madcap started a thread on this subject. :D

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3172764&highlight=monocog

Just in case you wanted more details. :thumbsup:
Oh, please leave that thread alone! :p

I like to think I've learned a lot about riding since that post. I know I've been through a few more bikes since then and none have wound up broken or bent and were able to sell.

My MonoCog still lives even in lightly damaged form, and has morphed into one heavy, yet capable city bike...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.