Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rode from work to my daughter's indoor soccer game - I70 and Federal to 285 and Kipling - from 5-ish until 6-ish tonight.
Only fell once and got called a moron once (that's fewer times than most days).
A coworker mentioned I would probably be safer than driving a car - I think he may have been right!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I biked home from work today. If you have cold weather gear, ample lighting for the situation, and have good balance and awareness that a mountain biker has, then I don't see a problem with it. Its all about perspective. I would never run 5 miles, but I can ride a mountain bike or road bike 100 miles. Which takes less time and seems more realistic? Not biking 100 miles. Or biking in 10 degree weather with snow, but I would rather do either than run 5 miles.

·
Chronic 1st-timer
2,432 Posts
I wheeled to market & around the hood for a bit in the heaviest of it.
The key word was, 'slippery'.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I did a bike-bus combo.

The only thing I can say is I'm glad I brought my ski goggles and balaclava. I moved my goggles around at one point while riding and could feel the wind burn on my cheeks.

Photobucket\

Tomorrow is going to be the real challenge.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
I have been working on a project in Calgary, Alberta for the last year and I've been blown away with how many people commute in by bike every day of the year. I ride in CO down to about 0, but wind chills here get to the -40 range.

I guess they get used to it, but I walk to work 8 blocks each morning and I don't seem to be getting acclimated to it.

I wasn't in CO today, but kudos to all of you who biked on what looks like a nasty day.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Jdub said:
I have been working on a project in Calgary, Alberta for the last year and I've been blown away with how many people commute in by bike every day of the year. I ride in CO down to about 0, but wind chills here get to the -40 range.

I guess they get used to it, but I walk to work 8 blocks each morning and I don't seem to be getting acclimated to it.

I wasn't in CO today, but kudos to all of you who biked on what looks like a nasty day.
Damn Canucks.

·
Awesomist™
2,950 Posts
I chickened out this morning, got about 1.5 miles into my ride and when the fingers were already frosting up a bit decided to call it and drive. Nice wok on the bike commuting to you crazy bastages though!

·
Registered
616 Posts
My commute involves walking down to my basement stairs to get to work, walking back up my basement stairs to leave work. So, yeah, I commuted.

Other than some rides in Florida during the holidays, I've not been on a bike in a couple weeks. Hiking, skiing, working out at the gym and, lately, recovering from some kind of flu/cold thing has been my focus.

It's -8 degrees here in FTC with a few inches of fresh snow and I just saw one of the regulars go by on his bike. Too cold for me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I didn't have the excuse of commuting, just cabin fever - I went for about an hour ride yesterday in the snow and cold. Had my ski gear on, I was actually overheated except for my feet. They took about 20 minutes to thaw out when I got back, ow. I've pretty much concluded my lake mxz300 shoes are only for 20 degrees and above, not 10 degrees. I think the ticket for 10 degrees is gonna be my regular cold weather boots and flat pedals.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Today was pretty cold. I rode my full 8 miles with the temperature between 2 Fand 4 F. That puts a wind chill at -20 F at some of the downhill points in my ride.

The wool socks and plastic bags with the lobsters with liners was not quite enough. I was suffering about half the ride. Goggles made all the difference on the face.

At work

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
Rode about 2 miles with a train ride in the middle. For a moment when riding to the train I though, this isn't so bad....maybe I'll ride all the way in. Glad I didn't.

On another note, I've been diggin the WTB Crosswolf as a winter tire on my CX/Commuter. Its plenty grippy and rolls ok when its dry too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
/raises hand

Last nights commute (~5miles) was fine in Boulder, some snow on the paths but no cagers to run me into the snow banks, I find the falling snow makes for a quiter peaceful ride home. Pussed out this morning tho since the wifey didn't need the car today...The commute is back on tomorrow.

·
Technology is my friend.
101 Posts
No, but I saw a kid riding his MTB to the local middle school this morning. This kid is my hero. I see him riding in all kinds of weather, while my pampered daughters enjoy heated seats and chauffeur service. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts