Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk of the DW's dominating the boards, I'm just wondering how many people are still riding the old horst link turners?

I've got two and these bikes completely cured the upgrade impulse I used to have. Now I ride a new bike and think to myself, "well that's nice, but I wouldn't swap one of my bikes for it".

Is it just me?

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
I recently picked up a Knolly which is an HL and loving it. The bike climbs well, is very plush, active, brakes great, etc. A really great all around compromise.

I ride with a guy who has a HL Spot and a DW Spot. In most cases, he prefers the HL Spot. For the smooth, faster courses the DW wins, but when the tech climbing starts around here, he likes his HL.

HL is still one of the best designs out there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a HL Flux + a DW Flux.
Both are very good bikes, but with different flavor. And the HL is certainly not outdated by the DW.
For me geometry is the key stone of a good frame, not the cinematic. And Turner has always been the best in geometry... So: cinematic will pass and change, but geometry will always remind.

·
orthonormal
5,087 Posts
I have a HL Six Pack. I was trying to sell it for a while because I wanted a more XC-oriented FS bike but the market for used high end bikes seems a bit soft. Anyhow, i'm in good enough shape these days that I can haul a 35 lb. 6" travel bike on a long XC ride. Makes for a nice change from my Ventana 29er SS once in a while.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We have 3 HL Turners in our fleet. I ride an '06 RFX front with '05 Pack rear, an '05 HL Spot and my fiancee rides a '02 XCE. The only oddball in our Turner family is her '08 Highline! :)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,442 Posts
Yeah. I still like riding it, but after riding DW links and my hardtail, the squat up steep hills is very annoying. Riding in the granny gear lessens it a bit, but I'd just like to shoot up the hills like I did with the DW link bikes. The turner HL was one of, if not the best, example of the HL at the time, but I like the lateral rigidity of my highline and it doesn't give up much, if anything, in terms of "activeness" or any other trait of a HL.

·
Big Test Icycles
1,480 Posts
05' HL Spot wih a DHX coil and a new 36 Van up front. Its hard for me to justify getting rid of this frame for something just to keep up with bike trends. The frame has been set up several different ways, lite XCish to it's current heavyier build. I will probably build up a new DW in a few years and this one will be passed down to one of the kids.

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,761 Posts
I ride an '02 RFX.
I never wanted anything more until I moved and demo'd a new longer travel DW-link bike. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy a new frame like you wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's good to see I'm not alone.

I've got the 5-spot prototype which is currently running 6" rockers off my 6 pack.
The 6 pack is extremely close to the same thing and currently needs a longer fork steerer and some work on the brakes. It's got the tall 6" rockers from my 5-spot which are probably early RFX rockers.

Anyway. The 5-spot/6-spot is my trail bike, 6" coil springs each end, weighs about 34lb I think.
The 6 spot is my play bike. 22/34/bashring cranks, DHX5 bigger forks and shorter stem. It's the biggest bike I can realistically pedal anywhere. Used to run Xvert Carbons but retired them a few months ago on their 10th birthday.

I've got a steel hardtail, it doesn't get used much. Even a road commute is more fun on the spot.

Pics later.:)

·
Banned
131 Posts
tiSS'er said:
I recently picked up a Knolly which is an HL and loving it. The bike climbs well, is very plush, active, brakes great, etc. A really great all around compromise.

I ride with a guy who has a HL Spot and a DW Spot. In most cases, he prefers the HL Spot. For the smooth, faster courses the DW wins, but when the tech climbing starts around here, he likes his HL.

HL is still one of the best designs out there.
You made a wise choice. The Knolly Four by 4 linkage is for REAL!

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
I'm rolling a '06 ? '07? Five Pack - which is a 6-Pack front triangle with a 5-Spot rear triangle with the Horst link and I've never felt any need to look any further for a bike that climbs and descends like a champ.

·