Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of Time ATAC aliums several years ago and thought they were great pedals until I got hung up in a technical section and broke my tibia. After recuperating, I looked at some of the pictures of the Speedgoat shaved cleats and trimmed my own. I tried riding with them and trimmed a little more. Now they release lightning quick whenever I want them to. I think they work a lot better in technical situations than the stock cleats. Sure, the cleat will wear out a little faster, but cleats are cheaper than broken bones.

Smokey

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I shave mine too. I have never come out when I didnt want to. When they wear, I tighten up the tension on the pedal from 1 to 2 (ATAC XS here). I have about 2000 miles on my currrent cleats.

The only time I did not come out was when I lost a screw from the cleat. Luckily I was on the trainer that day:smilewinkgrin:.

To me these pedals are nearly perfect. If they were under 300 gr, they would be. I can get in super easy. No "toe first" needed. Mud and dirt are not an issue clogging the pedal. I have bashed them on rocks and logs and they are still going strong.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Yeah, I shave my cleats before mounting them. I have no problems with accidental disengagements.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My cleats are wearing nicely (probably about 500 miles on them), but I am a clutz and would love to make the release a hair lighter. When you guys shave the cleats, can you be a little more descriptive on how you do it? Do you change the angles on the rear of the cleat or do you file down material keeping parallel?

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
I shaved the cleats for my ATAC Z's. Since they have no release adjustment its all in the cleat. I tried it first with a file, didn't seem to do much and I don't have much patience. Then I tried the Dremel. Just a couple of passes and there was a noticeable difference. I just tried to keep a similar angle to what they originally had. Just take your time. I believe they are brass cleats, so they're pretty soft. Don't want to take off too much. Its better to leave them a little tighter and let them wear in. I've never had a problem with my foot coming out when I didn't want it too, in fact I think they could stand to realease a bit easier still (the inside of my calf bares the effects of this). Two of my riding buddies with Shimano SPDs have both had trouble with their feet popping out, but my Times hold good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bubba74, to get a good idea of how to shave your cleats go to the Speedgoat website. Click on pedals, then cleats, and hit Speedgoat shaved ATAC cleats. There is a really good picture there that will give you an idea on how to do it.

Smokey

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Bubba74 said:
YI am still unclear if any angles have been changed, or do I just remove material from the back part of the cleat?
After reading this thread last night, I looked at some cleats that I'd recently installed to replace some worn out cleats and compared them to the picture at the speedgoat site. It appears to me that you remove material from one side, the thicker side, of the rear tab. A new, unmodified cleat's rear tab is sort of wedge shaped. It looks like the goal is to remove material to make it have a peak in the middle. I spent a little time with a Dremel and a file last night, but didn't make much headway. Tonight, I'm going to take the cleats off the shoes and go at it with a bench grinder...

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Bubba74 said:
My cleats are wearing nicely (probably about 500 miles on them), but I am a clutz and would love to make the release a hair lighter. When you guys shave the cleats, can you be a little more descriptive on how you do it? Do you change the angles on the rear of the cleat or do you file down material keeping parallel?
Go to the Speedgoat site, look at the photo of the shaved ATAC cleats and duplicate with a file or a dremel tool.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
KevinB said:
Tonight, I'm going to take the cleats off the shoes and go at it with a bench grinder...
The bench grinder worked great. It took perhaps three or four minutes per cleat. I took it slow to avoid overheating and to make sure that I didn't remove too much material. My cleats are close, but not quite as shaved as the ones shown in the picture at the Speedgoat site. (I can always go back and grind away more if I need to...) I did a quick test in my driveway afterwards and they definitely release easier now.

Why this is of interest to me: I injured my right ankle a number of years ago and have difficulty turning it outwards with enough force to get new Time cleats to consistently release. My old, worn out cleats were great, but for the fact that I was coming unclipped when I didn't want to.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Good to hear, thanks for the info guys. I'm a bit hesitant because I don't have the cash right now to spring for new cleats if I screw up. If I do anything, it will be conservative at best

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.