Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today at the bike shop i work at i saw something i've never seen before. a headset crack all the way around the bottom, so that the entire part that sits pressed into the frame seperated from the whole bearing assembling, cut clean off. anyone else seen this or had this happen? i thought it was pretty wierd. it was on a santa cruz blur so it wasn't like a free ride incident or anything

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
So the lower cup skirt sheared off clean? Never seen it before, but I'd guess the cup was the so called "weakest link in the chain" and didn't survive the frontal impact.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yup. I've seen that and I've seen cups split in half! its never happened on a good headset. I've only seen crappy alloy headsets fail. never a steel one or a good quality one (king). the one that I saw split like you described was on a road bike! the guy said the same as your customer, he thought his headset was just loose and was riding it for a few weeks like that before he brought it in.

we should start a thread with all the crazy stuff shop mechanics have seen broken over the years with all the crazy stories that go along with the broken parts.

·
THELAND photographer
460 Posts
I was just riding along and....

Mr. Bil said:
yup. .........
we should start a thread with all the crazy stuff shop mechanics have seen broken over the years with all the crazy stories that go along with the broken parts.
the thread should be called i was just riding along and

it always starts with....

(mechanic)-well (customer) what happened?
(Sir)- well i was riding along and my crankset exploded into a thousand pieces...i was just riding down the street nothing crazy....

all the time and they are always a treat to hear

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
CdaleProph6 said:
(mechanic)-well (customer) what happened?
(Sir)- well i was riding along and my crankset exploded into a thousand pieces...i was just riding down the street nothing crazy....

all the time and they are always a treat to hear
(mechanic) -Hmmm, really! (customer) Well, I did do some jumping at the BMX track over the weekend....yeah, cased a few doubles and came up short on a triple. (mechanic)-you're lucky that's all you broke....

·
THELAND photographer
460 Posts
(Customer)- well i dont know how it happened...but i bent my Equilink on my Felt Virtue
(mechanic) what the.......
(customer) well i was hitting this pretty rad line over a creek about a 3 ft drop to flat and i dont own a shock pump...could that be the problem?

in this case the customer is actually a younger....not too smart...co worker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.