Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading through the GG site and there was a comment about using a water bootle cage in place of the NUTS, and I was like WUT?

So I went home and swapped my NUTS for a water bottle cage and lo and behold it fits and it allows for a shorty water bottle:

Machine Engineering Steel Electrical supply Electrical wiring

I have since changed to a Lezyne Side Load, just like the upper cage, used a few thin washers to shim the front cage mount to prevent frame rub.

I can now carry ~45oz of fluid on my frame :)

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice. Please post a photo with the lower bottle in place. :)
The smaller bottle doesn't fit the cage as well as a normal large bottle, likely due to it's shape; it's designed as a hand bottle. But it fits fine and it's ~ 20oz.

You can just see the two thin stainless washers I placed under the front bottle mount.

Yellow Negative Steel Synthetic rubber Leather
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle chain

·
always licking the glass
4,060 Posts
So I was reading through the GG site and there was a comment about using a water bootle cage in place of the NUTS, and I was like WUT?

So I went home and swapped my NUTS for a water bottle cage and lo and behold it fits and it allows for a shorty water bottle:

View attachment 1258887

I have since changed to a Lezyne Side Load, just like the upper cage, used a few thin washers to shim the front cage mount to prevent frame rub.

I can now carry ~45oz of fluid on my frame :)
That's pretty cool. Not sure the size 2 will fit that, but still cool.

Not a bottle cage related, but I want to ask you about your shock and if it's stock or it's Avy-modded.

·
always licking the glass
4,060 Posts
The space under the shock doesn't change by size.
It's more the size 2 frame and if it'll fit a water bottle with a reservoir shock. I've seen someone have theirs flipped (reservoir on the bottom), and with a smaller front triangle, it'll be interesting to see.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Stripes, my Bomber coil is stock, running a 400# spring, plush setting/140mm travle. I weigh 190 nakid.

Honestly, it rides pretty durn well, no significant bob, very supple and supportive.

I'm running a lighter coil than many calculators suggest, did the same on my Smash and it worked well. Dougal did some calculations and suggested 400#, he was right on!

I did go up to a 500# spring and didn't notice anything good, mostly just harshened the ride and made the bike ride stiff. If I wanted stiff I'd be running my air shock ;)

For $330, I'd say the Bomber CR off the shelf is as good or better than the RS Super Deluxe.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
It's more the size 2 frame and if it'll fit a water bottle with a reservoir shock. I've seen someone have theirs flipped (reservoir on the bottom), and with a smaller front triangle, it'll be interesting to see.
Correction. Just saw a Size 2 with a bottle pic below. Reservoir is flipped and looks like a full size bottle.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I ordered a pair of those cages.

This is a great saddlebag that works well for a MTB tube, 2 CO2's, a CO2 pump head, a multi-tool, and a tire boot. If you have weak hands you can probably even fit a tire lever in. :) Stays tucked up nicely, doesn't mess with a dropper and most importantly it looks good:https://ilequipment.com/products/seat-bag

·
Registered
97 Posts
ZOMBIE! Reviving this thread to check on folk's experience with running two bottles on the size 3. GG details the double bottle options at the link below. It indicates that two bottles can be done on a size 3 but that it's actually more difficult than on a size 2 (surprising) and a size 4 (not at all surprising). The blog references that some "fabrication" is required to fit a small bottle in the area above the bottom bracket on a size 3.

Has anyone had luck with this on a size 3? If so, what kind of fabrication did you do? Was it just adding some washers like Ben did to steepen the angle of the cage? Would it work better to use an oddly shaped bottle like a Fidlock or YT's Thirstmaster 4000 variant work given their non-standard shape?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also, now that I'm looking at the various Thirstmaster options from YT, I bet the 3000 will fit. The 2000 should fit for sure given its tiny footprint. But ideally, I'd be able to get away with a small normal bottle or a regular Fidlock.

·
always licking the glass
4,060 Posts
ZOMBIE! Reviving this thread to check on folk's experience with running two bottles on the size 3. GG details the double bottle options at the link below. It indicates that two bottles can be done on a size 3 but that it's actually more difficult than on a size 2 (surprising) and a size 4 (not at all surprising). The blog references that some "fabrication" is required to fit a small bottle in the area above the bottom bracket on a size 3.

Has anyone had luck with this on a size 3? If so, what kind of fabrication did you do? Was it just adding some washers like Ben did to steepen the angle of the cage? Would it work better to use an oddly shaped bottle like a Fidlock or YT's Thirstmaster 4000 variant work given their non-standard shape?

Not sure if this helps, but we were able to run a 600ml (~20 oz) fidlock and a 450ml (~15 oz) fidlock and have them both fit in my husband's Shred Dogg. I found new Camelback Podium bottles that are 21oz that seem to fit in the bottom of the size 2 Megatrail with no issues, so as long as I prehydrate, I can carry a bottle and frame bag and no pack.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also, now that I'm looking at the various Thirstmaster options from YT, I bet the 3000 will fit. The 2000 should fit for sure given its tiny footprint. But ideally, I'd be able to get away with a small normal bottle or a regular Fidlock.
Size3 with shimmed Fidlock adapter in the lower position. I can fit the medium sized Fidlock bottle in the top location even with the coil, but don't really like that bottle (it's very loose and noisy). I've considered the YT bottles as well just haven't got around to ordering. Also shameless plug for my cable and hose solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing. My plan is to run it with a Cane Creek DBCoil IL, so I'll be able to avoid the reservoir. That should mean a small fidlock on the bottom and a full sized bottle on top. Did you buy that shim or make it yourself?

Tell me more about this cable and hose solution!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Did you 3d print up that angled shim for the lower mount? I'd love to get my hands on an angled, offset bracket (combination of what you've got with a Wolf Tooth BRAD 2 or 76 Projects Spacemaker).

I'm on a size 2 and have wanted to figure out a double bottle solution, but nothing's really worked to my satisfaction so far that I tried with 21oz bottles. Right now the best I've done is use either a Wolf Tooth Morse cage or their BRAD 2 plus a side load cage on the top mount, which allows me to fit a 24oz Podium bottle with about 1/4" of clearance from the downtube (so no rattling). The larger Fidlock bottles sound like a shopping cart going down the hill, so they're out for me (although they look clean). I've tried the BRAD 2 on the lower mount with a 21oz Podium, but it rubs the downtube. I think it might fit with a combination of rearward set cage and angle. I've got a bunch of Podium bottles with dust caps, so prefer to find a solution using them rather than expensive & noisy Fidlock solutions. The no-name plastic bottle cage GG sells is no better than any other I've tried (Lezyne, Specialized, Santa Cruz).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.