Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems like any time we are coasting along in a group, my Highline is always going faster than everyone's other bikes.

Anyone else notice this too?

Pedaling efficiency is one thing, but what about coasting efficiency? My buddy's DW 7 point which is set up nearly identical to my Highline, rolls significantly slower than mine. I've noticed the same comparison with my other buddy's VPP Nomad.

So...

I thought single pivots were supposed to be the ass-crack of bump efficiency? ;) :confused:

BTW, I just got back from doing the McKenzie river trail (27 miles of trailgasm) for the second time this year on the Highline. Between there and Bend, I did over 70 miles on it in 3 days. Nothing like an "XC" bike that can huck 20 footers in the middle of a ride! Not that I can huck 20 footers tough. ;)

Attachments

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rackerrack said:
My bike sat in the exact same spot!

Looks like your Highline liked it just as much as my Highline.

Did you make it through the whole clear lake lava field without dabbing? I DID! And just about puked my guts out by the time it turns to paved. 93+ deg and humid and elevation = not good for this Seattlite.. :D

Here's the GPS data log from the ride. We took our sweet ass time down and took in a lot of the scenery. The GPS was on the other bike, which explains the slow top speed and high heart rates. ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8103641

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Kick friggin arse shots!
I had my HL out today too. No pix but one big grin! :thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,633 Posts
Cause it's a heavy a$$ bike with heavy a$$ wheels.

You do get a little benefit in terms of momentum, and it pedals pretty well, but it still weighs a ton.

·
Registered
38 Posts
YoPawn said:
Did you make it through the whole clear lake lava field without dabbing? I DID! And just about puked my guts out by the time it turns to paved. 93+ deg and humid and elevation = not good for this Seattlite.. :D
No I didn't but riding through large chunks of loose lava rock was a bit of fun.I was up there last August and the temps wern't too bad.

YoPawn said:
Here's the GPS data log from the ride. We took our sweet ass time down and took in a lot of the scenery. The GPS was on the other bike, which explains the slow top speed and high heart rates. ;)
Looks like those times and speeds might include the ride home.I got through in a bit under 3 hrs.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
y0bailey said:
Holy crap can you swim in that pool? It is calling my name.

You could. It is about as cold as it is pretty.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
y0bailey said:
Holy crap can you swim in that pool? It is calling my name.
Yep! It's very clear, and very cold. The river bubbles up from running underground there for a bit. Nice and deep as well.

The Mctrail is one of the best rides out there! Done as an out and back from the bottom up makes for a long, but kick-ass fun day!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,633 Posts
inzane said:
Really high pivot means the bike will eat bumps way better than anything with a pivot near the BB.
Except if you have to pedal.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Jayem said:
Cause it's a heavy a$$ bike with heavy a$$ wheels.

You do get a little benefit in terms of momentum, and it pedals pretty well, but it still weighs a ton.
That's why I decided to gain 10 lb. and ride my RFX, rather than buy a Highline. Cheaper too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts