Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on today’s ride my coil was rattling and creaking. Sure enough, zero preload and missing the set screw. I tightened the locking ring but with no set screw, I susupect that unles I keep an eye on it, the locking ring will gradually loosen up again.

Sonofa b.

Anyone else lose their set screw? Did you replace it?

Thanks.

· Registered
167 Posts
Push have been quick to help with spare parts in my experience (HC97.)

Depending on the thread you could make your own replacement in a few minutes.

I lost the plastic preload set screw from my Storia. It's M6 x 1.0, same as a caliper bolt. Found a Ti bolt in my spares, ground off the head, cut in a slot, chamfered the inner end, cleaned up the thread. Quick and easy custom job.

In the mean time, make a check mark on the collar and shock thread so you can see it at a glance when you're on the bike.

Have you noticed it riding more plush or more pedal strikes lately? I wonder how long it took to back off that far. Any dirt between the coil and retainers and movement in the coil will make it creaky af for sure.

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Push have been quick to help with spare parts in my experience (HC97.)

Depending on the thread you could make your own replacement in a few minutes.

I lost the plastic preload set screw from my Storia. It's M6 x 1.0, same as a caliper bolt. Found a Ti bolt in my spares, ground off the head, cut in a slot, chamfered the inner end, cleaned up the thread. Quick and easy custom job.

In the mean time, make a check mark on the collar and shock thread so you can see it at a glance when you're on the bike.

Have you noticed it riding more plush or more pedal strikes lately? I wonder how long it took to back off that far. Any dirt between the coil and retainers and movement in the coil will make it creaky af for sure.
Thanks! Unfortunately I’m not nearly as mechanically inclined as you. I will soon be sending my 11-6 off for annual servicing at Suspension Werx so no big deal. They can replace the screw there.

There seems to be enough friction for it to stay put. I put the set screw hole facing up so I can monitor it.

I suspect my LBS forgot to reset the preload and replace the screw, after they had the shock off a month ago. I have been riding like that for a month.

When I tightened the preload yesterday, all the little irritating creaks and other noises disappeared. I was convinced the rattling was from my levers and other stuff I have crammed in my downtube. Anyway, on a positive note, the ride quality seemed to improve instantly. My bike immediately regained the bottomless feel that seemed to have disappeared of late.

I can probably get away without a set screw indefinitely. My bigger fear is that I did some damage while the coil was loose. I have been riding lots and hard, on some pretty janky $hit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.