Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I'm just not that jazzed about riding right now. Granted, this time last year I was training for a few races and one solo 12 hour deal and I think that + the never ending Phoenix heat has just killed my enthusiasm for the bike right now. I'm spending more hours on the roadie lately but that's even dwindling. I feel like I could go a month w/o touching the bike.

Anyone else go through this? I'm a cardio nut so most of the time I force myself to get on the bike just for that aspect. Hence, why the roadie has been getting more time. I can go harder for a shorter amount of time and thus be off the bike quicker. Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age but I just don't have that same enthusiasm as I did just 4 months ago.

Help me get back into biking!!!!!!!

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I was in a slump until the temp got back over 50 degrees:) Whenever Im feeling in a riding slump I usually find that if I ride somewhere other than my usual trails that it gives me the motivation to ride again. If I cant get out anywhere other than my usual trails I'll try to map out a different hook up to keep things fresh.

Shawn

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
The heat seriously kills me in the summertime, luckily I have only about 3 weeks of scorching heat.

all I can say is you're lucky to be able to ride 12 months a year and actually get sick of riding. I get to ride mabye 7 months and usually only night time urban assauts or on Sunday.

my advice, take a few weeks off, everyone get's a little bored of their hobby, the same trails are still the same trails. go hit up a bikepark on a roadtrip. I get to ride a recumbant excercise bike and play with a swissball.....Yay

·
slow
7,796 Posts
Normally we are able to ride year round. Therefore, I was in a slump after almost 4 feet of snow in the past 5 weeks, but got a couple of great rides in the sun this week and it changed my whole attitude. Rode both days with a friend that is training for an adventure race in March, so he is motivated and motivates me as well.

It was about time I got out for a ride because I was getting close to giving in and riding the trainer.

·
TeXaS BoY
172 Posts
slump?

no. Can't ride because the rain (3 weeks of it) has drowned the trails. Not being able to ride only enhances the desire.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I felt that way before I had a stupid, slow motion crash that tore a bunch of cartilage in my knee. Now that I can't ride I really appreciate it more....kinda like hot water after your water heater goes down.

I get scoped on Feb.6th, so I'm looking forward to rehab and the renewed enthusiasm I have for riding.

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Oh yes, I have......

I was right there with ya. I quit my job in early December with no money or prospects and just fell of the biking wagon at that point. I started doing rides here and there but would stop riding after a few miles because I was just hating it. I started hiking a little more, snowshoeing and biking here and there. Now almost 2 months later and I am stoked on riding again.

Maybe take a little break from riding, do some other activities and I think you may start missing it after a while.

By the way, did'nt you live in Wa. State. Maybe you miss the cold?

db

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I'm in a slump.. it's pretty big... really white... cold... icy.. yeah... WINTER. Damn you winter and your... your winterness.

I can't wait for spring.

Anyhow, Go ride new trails.. ones you've never seen before. Thats a sure way to get excited again!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldn't call my current period a slump so much as bad weather for the past month or so plus flooded trails in many areas....

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I didn't ride for about two months because my classes and job got in the way. Started riding again and now can't stop - I keep on the forums reading about great rides, checking out great passion threads, and helping out in the beginners forum (where I can since I'm still pretty new too) to stay excited.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
...the never ending Phoenix heat...
You're kidding, right? We've had WAY below average temps for weeks and measurable snow at Sky Harbor earlier this week. You call that heat?

I was once in the same slumpy mode so I started using the gym more and running the trails instead of riding. Mix up your exercise a bit. Now, I'm just too freakin' busy to ride!

·
textbook under achiver
41 Posts
my slump started when I moved from Colorado to Dallas, TX

That was six years ago....
I bought my wife a fsr and a Roubeax thinking that I needed her to help me get back into it.
But she was a drag.....(I love her, but the heat and bugs got her complaining).....the trails are tight, slow, flat and generally boring (I'd be cool if I were a kid again). Its too hot for my dog....who was an awesome riding buddy at altitude ( he cruises about 22-25 mph with bursts of speed over 30 something). He digs the AC now.
I bought a boat (catamaran) its neat but, I get very little cardio from hauling lines and hiking out on the trap. So, I bought a ski boat. Fun.....but, you need a driver and gas gets pricey when you have to tow the boat to the dock and pay to run the thing. I sold my Pro-Floater last fall to some guy in Ca. who wanted to restore it. He was thrilled!!!
I was thinking that a new ride might cure my ho hums.....I just haven't found the bike that I want to drop some dough on. Weird, when I had no money, I scraped for every penny to get that expensive dreambike, and then coveted the thing by riding everyday. Now, I can have any freaking bike out there.....and, they all seem dull (I think I am becoming the one that is dull....Maybe I am going through male menopause)
I have been looking at roadbikes (I know.....never thought I'd be one of those guys). Had a peugeot 12 speed I started riding for hours at a time.....So I sold it, to upgrade of course.....
Now I am looking at dropping under a grand on a steel roadbike (if I can find one Allez CroMo or Masi spec. pre. or similar).
I want to see if it takes. If not I will shop Mtn Bikes again!
Maybe I need to move back to the mountains:p

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Just the opposite. With the current drought like conditions were having in Norcal, I've been riding 5 days a week in what is usually a big sticky clay mudbath. But I've certainly had slumps. Usually combined with injuries it seems. I mix in alot of hiking/ trail running during the winter to keep from burning out on riding. Skiing too hopefully.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Try learning some new skills...

The trails where I live are 4 inches deep in mud, I've started learning how to wheelie, manual and bunny hop properly...it keeps me amused! Even after MTBing for 10years you can still get better - manual for 10m not 5m, bunny hop 20" not 10" etc

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dlbennett said:
By the way, did'nt you live in Wa. State. Maybe you miss the cold?

db
Yes and I think that's aprt of my problem. Spending an hour cleaning the bike after a muddy ride stunk but I could deal with it since the riding there is AMAZING! Here it's really, really boring stuff. Not many trails in the valley to choose from...espcially since they all look and ride the same. Eh, I just prefer the color green and the lonelines feeling compared to the brown and expansive feeling I guess.

I am coming up there this summer though for some riding and I can't wait! :thumbsup:

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I lived in the PNW for 8 years and was spoiled but the lucious trails there. Sweet buttery smooth singletrack to smoke the downhills and so forth. Then I come to the land of no trees and hills vs. mountains. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be here then the mid-west where there are no hills but the riding is just different.

Oh well, I'm just complaining and I think I need to take a few weeks off the bike and get back into trail running. Maybe that will spark my interest again....then again, it may not until I ride in the PNW again this summer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.