Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always wanted to try an alpine board. Picked up a K2 XTC back in 1991 and had the binding slanted forward similar to an alpine set-up. It carved very well, but not the same I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a Volkl 168, an Elan 173 and a couple of other odd-ball race boards. I've been riding race boards since the late 80's, mostly because the freestyle boards and bindings back them were crap. Did a bunch of racing, ended up in a few magazines, but it's pretty rare to see them anymore. Bomberonline still does (I think) great bindings and sells boards, but it's a limited market. It's too bad, because riding the corduroy on a race board is a thing of beauty.

·
Underskilled
4,749 Posts
I wear hard boots, but I ski...

Most boarders only get to intermediate skills then give up.
Some people would speculate it is due to the fact that they wear soft boots.

My personal theory is because they are a bunch of lazy stoners, who consider it more important to spend half the day sitting behind a blind corner smoking than getting basic skills (like knowing how to avoid beginners)

The boarders who do take the skills far are awesome!

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
I have a Burton factory prime 157a, a burton ultra prime 162. I rarely ride them any more because I can get similar performance out of my freestyle boards with stiffer boots. I also ski-- it just depends on morning mood and conditions.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You probably know this already, but modern alpine boards are much, much more capable than old Burton alpine boards. A modern freestyle boards doesn't even begin to compare to a modern alpine board.

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
I actually didn't, I thought the breed was pretty much dead. I had been looking into getting a swoard, but aside from that, I really haven't kept up with it. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man, things have really advanced in the last several years. I went from an older board to a new one this year, and the difference blew me away. It had a much larger sweetspot, much better edge hold, much more damp over rough, and let me focus on my technique much more. The big three technologies are Titanal (yes, it's spelled tit-anal), which is a special aluminum alloy taking the place of the fibergalss, decambering of the nose and tail, and variable sidecut radiuses. Alpine is very much alive, but is a niche sport now, mostly being serviced by a small, dedicated group of manufacturers.

The two companies I'd look at would be Donek (www.donek.com) or Coiler (www.coiler.com). They both do full custom boards based on your weight, riding style, and location. Coiler is one guy working out of a storage unit in Canada, but makes incredible boards, and have made boards for a lot of well known riders. His prices are also really good for what you're getting. The only problem is there's always a waiting list, and you usually need to order one a season beforehand. Donek is a family owned shop based in Colorado, and they produce well crafted and durable boards. Even though my new alpine board is a Coiler, I've owned a couple Doneks and have always been happy with them.

If you already have boots which fit you pretty well, slap some Intuition heat moldable liners in there, and they'll feel like new and will fit you better than they ever have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ski and board but never tried alpine. gotta love ridin' the lift up,
blazin' a j in the trees, and shreddin down... almost as good as ridin'
the trails after a fatty. BD

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I've been riding since '96 but never had the urge to try Alpine due to my distaste for walking in hard boots. I've always enjoyed the comfort of soft boots and Burton Custom bindings with toe caps and gas pedals give me plenty of control for the riding I do in the northeast.

·
≈ > ♥
956 Posts
I rock a skinny board. Freshly groomed cord is almost as much fun as the fat board on powder... (almost).

I have an R-17 Addicted 173, still using the old Burton Fire integrated binding setup.
Kind of thinking about picking up a Nidecker Proto...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Rode Alpine for years, Started on a Kemper Rampage 160 with Emery Surf bindings, They tended to eject at high speeds LOL replaced that with a Kemper 160SL race board then came a Burton PJ 156 Fantastic board for half a season then the camber fell out!
Demoed a Hot leplus bought a hot logical rode those in various lengths including a race stock163 sweet turning boards! made the transition to symmetrical boards with the Hot Blast.
Flogged several of these before getting a ride with Nidecker Still have a Proto that is a truly great board. Got tired of buying expensive boots and breaking bindings. Now I make nearly the same turns in soft boots on lighter boards with tons of edge hold.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a alpine rider. Currently own a Rossi 190 world cup, Oxygen Proton 185, CODA 190 splitail and a Prior 179 4 WD. I do most of my riding out here in Socal and also a BomberOnline member (oldvolvosrule). I have been riding alpine since 92 and rode nothing but until two years ago.
Two years ago I jumped back on skis after a 18 year hiatus. It is incredible what the new skis are capable of. I can leave trenches (2) on a pair of skis. I usually hit the groom in the morn on a alpine board and then jump over to skis for a few hours after the cord is gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts