Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my LBS has been telling me about bike prices going up. he claims almost all bike manufacturers are raising prices 25-35% around the end of july-begining of august. the story is the cost of everything has gotten so out of hand that they basicly have to in order to stay afloat.

has anybody else heard these rumors? or is he just trying to get me to buy another bike in the next month?lol

just curious....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I heard this rumor awhile ago BUT just today the the guy that owns the Specialized shop told me prices for 09's will be up 15-20%. Said he's trying to stock up on 08's Cause he's afraid nothing will sell next year. He has been in business for 25 years and prices usually go up 3-5% a year. I have no reason not to believe him. I'll be buying a bike by fall for this reason.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've heard it. And someone posted in some other thread an obvious point--everything is going up in price it seems, not just the price of bikes next year. Gas, milk, food, you name it. It only makes sense that the price of bikes would be affected.

I was talking to a general contractor today. The price of materials for building homes has stayed about the same for a lot of stuff, but gone up significantly for other materials. Anything that uses petroleum in the manufacturing process has gone up in price--which to my surprise included aluminum. Anything that requires long distance transport has gone up in price. But the cost for them to build homes or do renovations has dropped significantly because the cost of labor has taken a nose dive. The construction workers are hurting for work to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya it is certainly believeable but i didn't know if it was fact.

there is actually alot of petroleum used in bikes if you think about it. aluminum, paint, rubber, shock oil, and the list goes on. not to mention shipping.

and i myself am a carpenter and your right, building materials have actually dropped in price over the past year or so. the housing market as taken a dump and therefore supply is up and demand is down. so if your looking to do some home improvements or buy a new house...i believe the term is "strike while the iron is hot". dont hesitate, its hard to say how long it will be this good of a buyers market. hopefully not to much longer. im very fortunate to be still working but its deffinetly tough times for the construction industry.

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
might be some truth to that

some bike makers put out their new model year bikes towards the end of summer/begining of fall of the previous year. With the cost of shipping rising due to the cost of fuel, along with other reasons, the rising of cost of for the 09 model year stuff is not surprising. If you have your eye on a bike/frame/parts, etc; I would advise you jump on it now!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
No really? Inflation rampant, gas prices high, peak oil eminent...

I heard from our president that there is no way gas prices can reach $4 a gallon back in February so why would I believe this BS.

I bet 6 liter SUVs are cheap though.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
my gf is looking for a bike...so we've been doing a lot of talking with bike shops. for a $360 2008 bike, the 2009 model will be $430, according to all three bike shops we've talked to. that's...uh...what, 17%...yeah, sounds right.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Yep, it's even getting harder for people on a budget like me, to find mail order deals on decent parts.
Everything is going up everywhere and closeouts are rare.

We're suffering from "trickle down recession" and a lot of greed.
I recently heard, that 1% of the U.S. population has more than 80% of the free cash.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
my gf is looking for a bike...so we've been doing a lot of talking with bike shops. for a $360 2008 bike, the 2009 model will be $430, according to all three bike shops we've talked to. that's...uh...what, 17%...yeah, sounds right.
It's not just prices going up either.
Many bikes over the $1500 price point have crappy parts that will need to be upgraded sooner than one year after purchase.
For high end bike users, it's looking like "build your own" is becoming more desirable every day, because the pricing between a "off the shelf" high end model and one you custom build, isn't that great anymore.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I honestly don't know about 20% price increases. Maybe 5-10% tops. I'm betting they'll make up the difference by quietly slipping on a few cheaper components, drop the clipons for plastic platforms and pretend like nothing happened. :rolleyes:

Heck you're already seeing that in models that were new for '08. A lower level all around compared to what you used to get for a pricepoint.

And oh yeah... there's always the Chinese frameset. Look for it on a four figure bike near you!

·
-Fly you fools!-
203 Posts
At the shop I work at Trek, has already gone up a decent amount. We just received word Giant will be increasing in the next few weeks and Santa Cruz has already increased also. So it's pretty wide spread.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's nothing really new. Prices are going up all the time. If I just look back 2 years, when I got my current bike and compare it to this what I can get now, nowadays I would need to pay at least 200eur more for same bike. Ok it's not 35% but it's still quite lot.
Not to mention prices of everything went up extremely in last year... from food on.

·
Cat Herder
108 Posts
Depressing. I think this hurts an LBS more than any other part of the biz, as they typically don't have the breathing room to soften the price jump by cutting profits much.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Demon I have no idea for USA, but here they have still quite some margin. Normally things around here have margins around 50% or more, so please excuse me if I don't share your opinion ;) Margins here are not high, but already unethical.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
With the dollar in free fall and the cost of transportation (petrol) continuing to climb, I wonder if any the big bike companies are looking to start manufacturing in the states again.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
up, up and away

The dollar is in the crapper, 99.5% of bikes are made in another country, and production/transportation costs are skyrocketing (oil).

In case you haven't noticed, everything from gas to milk to bike parts are going way up.

It isn't just the bike industry.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
primoz said:
Demon I have no idea for USA, but here they have still quite some margin. Normally things around here have margins around 50% or more, so please excuse me if I don't share your opinion ;) Margins here are not high, but already unethical.
Hmmm... Are bike shops not allowed to make a profit? In order to simply stay in business a shop needs 40% margins. Bikes offer anywhere between 32%-38% (some super cheap low end bikes may hit 40%), so the shop must sell other products to make up that gap or go out of business. A 50% margin doesn't mean a 6 figure income for the owner.

And bike prices are going up. The dollar is down, oil is up, raw materials are up, makes for a bit of a crunch.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
superford4x4 said:
my LBS has been telling me about bike prices going up. he claims almost all bike manufacturers are raising prices 25-35% around the end of july-begining of august. the story is the cost of everything has gotten so out of hand that they basicly have to in order to stay afloat.

has anybody else heard these rumors? or is he just trying to get me to buy another bike in the next month?lol

just curious....
Makes sense. Glad I just built a Ti bike that won't need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.