Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my BRS-70 stand showed up today from Universal Cycles and is pretty beat up for a BRAND NEW item. I know it's just a stand and it will hold a bike still but it's annoying when you pay full price for a new item and it has dents, scratches, and other obvious impacts to it.

I could be wrong but it appears as though it's just shipped in the box as they come from Ultimate with no packing in there at all! I have a dent on one leg, a dent on the center tube, an impact to the big dial knob tightener, and the top cap on the end of the center tube is a mess and coming apart.

:madman:

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
vortrex said:
my BRS-70 stand showed up today from Universal Cycles and is pretty beat up for a BRAND NEW item. I know it's just a stand and it will hold a bike still but it's annoying when you pay full price for a new item and it has dents, scratches, and other obvious impacts to it.

I could be wrong but it appears as though it's just shipped in the box as they come from Ultimate with no packing in there at all! I have a dent on one leg, a dent on the center tube, an impact to the big dial knob tightener, and the top cap on the end of the center tube is a mess and coming apart.

Ask for a trade - that amount of damage isn't really fair...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I unboxed it at 10pm last night and am at work now, have not called. I doubt I will. it holds a bike still and the less things I have to worry about right now the better. I just can't believe things get shipped with NO PACKING inside the box. mind boggling. the way I see it, chances are I would get the same thing back. I was more curious as to if everyone's shows up like this? I wonder if the Park is packed well?

Speedub.Nate said:
What was Universal's response when you advised them of this problem?

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
That stand was badly banged around. I would ask them to exchange it at their cost. If I pay for a new stand, it better look new or it will bother me each time I look at it. I guess I'm odd like that but that's me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
believe me, I am the same way. drives me nuts. I keep telling myself it's only there to hold my bike up. I would really like to know why Ultimate ships these things with no packing material, it's just stupid. I guess it keeps the costs down the profits greater.

Flyer said:
That stand was badly banged around. I would ask them to exchange it at their cost. If I pay for a new stand, it better look new or it will bother me each time I look at it. I guess I'm odd like that but that's me.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
vortrex said:
I unboxed it at 10pm last night and am at work now, have not called. I doubt I will. it holds a bike still and the less things I have to worry about right now the better...
Huh? Call them and give them a chance to resolve the problem. How would that cause more worry or take any more time than complaining about it here? It's hard to sympathize if you aren't even willing to take the simplest action for yourself. Get off your bum and call :D

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I'm guessing if insufficient packaging posed a problem over the years, they'd have addressed it rather than pay for a bunch of damaged stands to be returned.

So how about calling Universal and getting your banged up stand replaced? A dented tube bends easier than a straight one, you know!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not asking for sympathy, I am asking if others have shown up the same way. it doesn't look like it was driven over by a truck or anything.

Mr.Bob said:
Huh? Call them and give them a chance to resolve the problem. How would that cause more worry or take any more time than complaining about it here? It's hard to sympathize if you aren't even willing to take the simplest action for yourself. Get off your bum and call :D

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
vortrex said:
not asking for sympathy, I am asking if others have shown up the same way. it doesn't look like it was driven over by a truck or anything.
That's a little hard to believe since you don't seem willing to get the issue resolved. What is your purpose other than to commiserate? How can the damage be bad enough to complain about here but not bad enough to complain to those who can actually help?

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, other have shown up that way. Shipping damage happens. What usually happens next is that after a simple phone call a new one shipped out and everyone lives happily ever after. Believe it or not, I'm trying to help you solve the problem that you said yourself "drives me nuts". A nut free life is probably nothing more than a phone call away ;). If you just want to ***** and moan, that's fine too I guess.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
words of wisdom. thanks for all the friendly advice, champ.

Mr.Bob said:
That's a little hard to believe since you don't seem willing to get the issue resolved. What is your purpose other than to commiserate? How can the damage be bad enough to complain about here but not bad enough to complain to those who can actually help?

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, other have shown up that way. Shipping damage happens. What usually happens next is that after a simple phone call a new one shipped out and everyone lives happily ever after. Believe it or not, I'm trying to help you solve the problem that you said yourself "drives me nuts". A nut free life is probably nothing more than a phone call away ;). If you just want to ***** and moan, that's fine too I guess.

·
UpHiller
73 Posts
vortrex said:

Similar problem...lots of deep scratches, but no dents. No damage from shipping, mine was all from the factory. I blame drunk ultimate elves.

-Turd:)

·
2,818 Posts
vortrex said:
I could be wrong but it appears as though it's just shipped in the box as they come from Ultimate with no packing in there at all!
madman,

The BRS-70 stands are sold to dealers in a master-pack of 2. Basically there are 2 nice white boxes inside of a heavy duty 2-ply craft cardboard box. Many companies do this to protect the nice boxes which often are placed on a retail floor. If Universal Cycles shipped this to you in just a white box - then it should have been over-boxed by something more substantial by them.

Call 800.525.5628 and ask for customer service and we can help you out with this issue.

Brett @ Ultimate Support

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
am I a madman?

thanks for the offer to help out. I looked at the box more closely and there is the white ultimate box on the inside and another box skinned to the outside of that. still no packing materials, I gladly would have paid extra for them.

people are making it sound worse than it probably is. it's not going to be weakened from these dents. call them "dings" if you will.

2melow said:
madman,

The BRS-70 stands are sold to dealers in a master-pack of 2. Basically there are 2 nice white boxes inside of a heavy duty 2-ply craft cardboard box. Many companies do this to protect the nice boxes which often are placed on a retail floor. If Universal Cycles shipped this to you in just a white box - then it should have been over-boxed by something more substantial by them.

Call 800.525.5628 and ask for customer service and we can help you out with this issue.

Brett @ Ultimate Support

·
Registered
359 Posts
Now this is bumming me out :sad: I just ordered a pro elite from Jenson, if it shows up damaged I'll be pissed off.

When you buy something new it should be pristine, if you bought a new car you wouldn't accept it if you found it had dents in it when you picked it up, would you?

If you want to keep it at least get a partial refund. Send them pics if you can.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
When mine arrived, the box was pretty beat up. There was little to no packaging material in the box. Fortunately, it wasn't damaged. I bought mine from an eBay retailer.

I love the stand, just be careful with the slidelock clamp - I guess I unscrewed mine too far and the little nut inside (that stops the clamp from coming apart) came off. Yeah, probably user error. I'm thinking of putting some threadlock on the slide lock nut so it won't come off so easily. I did get it back on, but it was a PITA.

Still highly recommend it though!

Cheers

KavuRider

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.