Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that every time I have seen a decent pair of rigid forks, they want alot of money for them. And that includes any kind of make. I was looking for Chro-Molly for the feel. I was lucky to find this on ebay last night but can't help feeling it was still over priced. I remember that 10 years ago this fork only would have ran about 12-15 dollars since everyone was craving front suspension. Now things have changed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130272513116

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
i think it might be the demand vs supply ... everyone (mainly ... i do not mean the general population on this forum, but the general worldwide out there ;)) is now on suspension, most standard bikes (standard lbs will have more suspension bikes than rigids) are nowadays built with suspension forks and so there is less demand for rigids and so to those few of us who decide to get a rigid (for whatever reason)

and so it will cost more to make a few of them ... economies of scale ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
well, that and the cost of materials has shot right up too. cro-mo steel is bloody pricey now, so the new rigid forks are $$, meaning when your LBS/ebay seller looks up what the forks are selling for in their P&A catalogs, its going to be higher then years past

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
How much is a lot?

digitalayon said:
I have noticed that every time I have seen a decent pair of rigid forks, they want alot of money for them. And that includes any kind of make. I was looking for Chro-Molly for the feel. I was lucky to find this on ebay last night but can't help feeling it was still over priced. I remember that 10 years ago this fork only would have ran about 12-15 dollars since everyone was craving front suspension. Now things have changed.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130272513116
I'm skeptical about the estimated price 10 years ago being $12 - $15.

In the early 90's, I replaced the fork on my bike with the Tange Big fork - for the time it was an affordable, semi-beefy rigid fork at about $60 if I remember correctly. A more serious fork like the Yeti/Accutrax forks went for about $70 - $100.

$35 for a rigid fork is not a bad deal, but for used or NOS, you can do better. If you do your search for "rigid fork" in ebay, you might get a few more options - I'm seeing a couple comparable to the GT fork you listed for less than $20.

Rigid forks search

(there's even one for $15.00)

Better yet, check a local bike shop, they are bound to have a slew of used rigid steel forks laying about. I picked up a set of Redline Monocog forks for my single speed, for about $25.00 at a shop here.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to order chro-molly forks from nashbar all of the time. I remeber seeing them no more than 20 bucks. And I could find used ones everywhere. Here with this ebay purchase, I was fortunate to not only find a pair in good shape, but also threadless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.