Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the rear pivot bolt that is supplied w/ the bottlerocket and the spacers that come w/ the ROCO TST-R (or any ROCO I'd imagine) are not sized appropriately?
I have a tiny bit of slop between the spacer and the pivot bolt. Is this an issue with anyone else?

I've cranked down on the bolt with excessive torque which does not seem to do much other than overclamp the spacers (play between the bolt and spacer still exist). I also took the shock and spacer into the local Transition shop and they say that's "normal". He even showed me a new frame right off the wall w/ the same shock has the same play in the spacer when disassembled.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found aftermarket spacers or a fix for this...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ban said:
check this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=350008 or run a search, I think Pirochu has a more extensive post talking about this issue, in a nutshell, you could need longer spacers...
I remember reading that a while back, but the slop I'm having is between the pivot bolt and the inner sleeve; like the bolt diameter is 8mm and the I.D. of the reducer sleeve is 8.25mm (arbitrary numbers btw).
I need a larger diameter bolt...

Otherwise the width of the spacers are right on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same troubles with my BRAND NEW blindside. I bought a bolt that has a flat spot all the way through instead of half threads and that didn't help at all.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
FlippinSweet - did the brand new frame in the bike shop have obvious slop when you pushed and pulled on the frame? Slop in your hand doesn't always mean slop when built up. Sounds like yours is sloppy when everything is tight and you still feel a bit of slop in the shock pivot.

It might sound silly, but aluminum foil wrapped around the bolt works great. I've had this on a couple bikes over the years. It has little to do with the frame manufacturer, unless they spec'd the wrong combo of spacer with the bolt size. If you can put the next size bolt in the spacer, then get a new spacer immediately. Otherwise, the shock spacer is just a little out of spec and the aluminum foil trick works fine, if you don't want to (or can't) immediately get a new shock spacer. Your dealer should help you get a new one if they want you to buy your next frame from them or tell your friends to shop there. BTW - it seems obvious, but less threads in the spacer is always better from a long term wear point of view. So 123's less threads can help in the long run. Wrap that sucker with aluminum foil and go ride until you've got time to get the new spacers from your LBS.

Also, make sure the issue isn't really the DU bushing in the shock which is worn and now has slop around the steel spacer. Those things wear out pretty fast and are cheap to replace. This is WAY more common than the spacer being so out of spec that you feel slop there when everything is tight.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
phatfreeheeler said:
FlippinSweet - did the brand new frame in the bike shop have obvious slop when you pushed and pulled on the frame? Slop in your hand doesn't always mean slop when built up. Sounds like yours is sloppy when everything is tight and you still feel a bit of slop in the shock pivot.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't clarify that too well. At the LBS, he took a ROCO shock and spacers off a bran new frame with the hardware (pivot bolt) and showed me there's "normal" play between the sleeve and the bolt. None of the BR's on the floor had this slop because they crank down super hard on the allen bolt. I've done this too and it'll work until my first trail of the day.

I like the foil idea though. I used teflon tape last time and, ...well, you can imagine how long that lasted. Acutally it lasted a few weeks, but not like the foil will though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.