Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went from Purg/Ground Control to Butcher/Purg (front/rear).

I don't know if I just had an "off" day but it feels like the traction when climbing isn't any better and was worse if anything. Braking FELT better but since I changed both tires at once I don't know if that's the Butcher or the Purgatory that deserves credit.

To be fair, I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. I had an XC bike with XC tires before this and those were (obviously) awful on the AM trails I've been riding. With my new bike (Stumpjumper Evo) the Purg/GC combo is all I've tried.

Either way I'm going to keep riding with this combo for a bit but I'm less than impressed so far.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like it. I ride it on the rear since 2 years, with 3 months interruption by a Hans Dampf. Not an easy rolling tire, but ok. Give me confidence in that the traction is always present, equal what your hitting and in which conditions. Please note that my Purgatory is an old Grid 2.2 version. It's heavy but very stable at low pressure.

May I ask you to compare the Ground Control and the Purgatory please ? Because my Purgatory is exhaling his lasts breathes, I'm looking for a light, easy rolling, predictive in grip and strong.... could be the Ground Control the holy graal ?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Purg and GC I'm using are both 29x2.3.

The GC is good, I was just looking for a LITTLE better braking. Other than that it's great. I'm also 240lbs so it could just be not enough tire for me. Fantastic for a $50 tire.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
The Purg is a go-to tire, both front and rear. Spec tires aren't too tough and have killed quite a few in my day. Went with the Grid version this time around- now that they come in 29".

Also got 2 Purgs on my new Mach 6.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Yeah, looks like I'm about to be part of the 230-240lb test squad for Purgatory Front and Ground Control Rear setup on 29ers too. I guess since the durability is a question mark on anything I'm looking at, the Specialized warranty makes it the most attractive option, especially since these are a local purchase item.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least for here the Purg/GC combo works well. The Purg is sketchy cornering on gravel over hardpack but I guess most tires would be. The GC is good but it skids just a little too early for me under hard braking but I think I prefer that to constant boat anchor dragging of having a Purg in the rear

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, and with no apparent loss in climbing traction either. The only place the Purg does better is braking as far as I can tell, so if that's not a concern, GC wins.

I can't even say for sure the Purg brakes any better cuz I put a butcher up front at the same time so it could be attributed to the butcher.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Maybe it's my riding style but I find the Purg corners better out back than the GC. Out East the trail are often wet, slick, and greasy. The cornering knobs appear, and feel, much more substantial on the Purg.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went on another ride today and I noticed that I got fatigued damn quick compared to normal. I hate to blame the tire but that could be part of it. The dirt was drier than yesterday and traction was fantastic. I was on a different trail than yesterday so who knows what the real cause was...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like the purgatory as a rear tire. I like the ground control as a rear tire.

Too be honest I can't really tell too much of a difference. GC may roll a smidge better.

It could be that the rubber is still real fresh, once you wear it in a bit it may roll a bit better.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the purgatory as a rear tire. I like the ground control as a rear tire.

Too be honest I can't really tell too much of a difference. GC may roll a smidge better.

It could be that the rubber is still real fresh, once you wear it in a bit it may roll a bit better.
I've had it up front for 200+ miles though... I moved the Purg to the rear and put a Butcher on the front.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Alias530,

I have a purgatory on the rear and it doesn't impress me much, I too feel like its more sluggish and I am slower with it on the back compared to my Previous Minion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Changed a Purgatory Grid for a Purgatory Control and give it a 3h ride today. Mostly on single tracks, in the woods, dry, little loose over hardpack with some roots and rocks. Rode it with to much air pressure, was not comfortable and very hard to accelerate/keep the speed on roots rocks and not so flat ground. Did release some air in the middle of the ride, but not that much. Will give it another try tomorrow .

Sam

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
I just took off a purgatory on the back that I had killed the side knobs on. I put on a trail king 2.2 ust on the rear and was blown away with how much faster it rolls. I was shocked, I must have gotten used to the rolling resistance of the purgatory. Last week a friend of mine gave me two brand new 2.25 maxxis ardent EXO tires she took off her carbon yeti SB66. So I figured why not, threw them front and rear and went out for a little test.......holy wowzers batman as they say. These tires felt super fast compared to the purgatory I was used to. Didnt have as much stand up and mash traction as the purgatory. The braking felt about the same. But I was shocked as I was zipping right along. I still had tubes in them and on my 700gram heavier wheels and they were faster feeling. Before these other two tires came into the mix I would have argued with you about how well the purgatory is, well now...........not so much. If you are riding on harder pack trails like I am, do yourself a favor and get a faster tire. Or the other option is get stronger/ used to it. I however like speed............

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.