Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 blur carbon XC and I have broken two collet axels in eight months. The first one was on the lower pivot in the upper swingarm linkage below the shock. Now the upper pivot collet axel is broken on the lower linkage (near the bottom bracket).
Do they make a heavy duty version? Anyone else keep breaking these? What if one breaks on me when I'm miles and miles from my car? :madman:

·
Registered
170 Posts
kberkle said:
I have a 2010 blur carbon XC and I have broken two collet axels in eight months. The first one was on the lower pivot in the upper swingarm linkage below the shock. Now the upper pivot collet axel is broken on the lower linkage (near the bottom bracket).
Do they make a heavy duty version? Anyone else keep breaking these? What if one breaks on me when I'm miles and miles from my car? :madman:
I also have a '10 blur carbon and my understanding is the first batch of blurs Santa Cruz produced had issues with the collet axle(s) in the upper link; mainly the lower pivot axle, but also some issues with the shorter upper pivot axle.

If you do some searching here you should find some more info.

From what I've read Santa Cruz revised the axles after having many complaints. I recently snapped the titanium bolt that secures the tapered washer into the axle, and therefore had to replace the axle and bolt since it was stuck in the axle. However, I have never had an issue with the axles themselves (knock on wood). I called SC and they sent me the entire hardware kit with 4 aluminum axles, 4 bolts, and 4 tapered washers. The axles are all black in colour and not the silver colour that originally came mounted on the frame.

I have read a post here a while back that someone had been sent a set of collet axles that were stainless steel. There were pics of the standard aluminum ones and the steel ones on a scale, and the steel ones weighed significantly more. I tired to do a search but can't find that post.

So to somewhat answer your question, yes there are heavier duty axles available. I'm not sure if these were through SC though. Your best bet is probably to call SC and see what they say.

It's odd they keep breaking on you. Most people who busted one got sent the revised axles and have not had repeat issues. I know SC has set no rider weight limit on this frame, but realistically if you weigh 220lbs you will have issues with lightweight aluminum axles. I'm also assuming you are using the bike for its intended purpose and not hucking it off larger drops.

But anyways, if you bust an axle on a ride deep into the woods its game over, unless you have a spare axle, and there is no extensive damage to the frame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not hucking it off any big drops and i only weigh 175 lbs. Just found out that the earlier models had weaker collet axels so this is most likely the cause. This recent collet axel break actually dameged the frame enough for SC to warranty the front triangle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.