Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had them on two bikes now, first front and rear, and now front only on both bikes including tubed and tubeless. Besides the weight issue that WTB is working on, that piece of rubber absolutely rocks as a So Cal front tire. Maybe the best 29er tire I have used for front duty in my neck of the woods, steering and braking wise.

Surprised I have not read more about them. Maybe the weight scared folks off or they are not in shops yet or?
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
I got a set and was able to get 1 ride in before the snow hit. my first impression was kinda heavy (but I will pay that price for a decent sidewall that wont wear out when run tubeless)
seemed pretty fast rolling and excellent grip on rocks , conditions were dry 10 degrees

probably wont get an update untill spring now
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
Not available to shops, from what I can find, at least our buyers cannot find them, god knows I've bugged them enough. I think only online suckup......, uh, reviewers get them. :D

I'm curious about it as a front tire here in slocal.
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slocaus said:
Not available to shops, from what I can find, at least our buyers cannot find them, god knows I've bugged them enough. I think only online suckup......, uh, reviewers get them. :D

I'm curious about it as a front tire here in slocal.
Hey, I resemble that! I wonder if they were delayed with the weight issues? Anyway, I think you would like it as a front tire. Try one if you get the chance.

Happy New year Buddy! I will have to ride with ya' again someday.
 

·
trail rat
Joined
·
7,825 Posts
mtroy said:
Hey, I resemble that! I wonder if they were delayed with the weight issues? Anyway, I think you would like it as a front tire. Try one if you get the chance.

Happy New year Buddy! I will have to ride with ya' again someday.
I really like the Prowler as a front, and I suspect the Wolverine might be a touch better, a little more volume. I'm hoping to see it soon.

Happy New Year to you as well. It would be great to ride again. Going to my favorite place in the Santa Ynez Rec area behind Santa Barbara tomorrow. Could be as many as 50 of us; seeing some friends I have not seen for 25 years there.

 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
They're showing up in South Florida - racing buddy has had a set on his 429 since end of November.
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeffj said:
mtroy, are you sure it isn't the 'hero dirt' we've had around here lately? ;)

Good front tires are hard to come by. I take it you are you running them 'tubed'?
Yeah. I ran them on two rides before all the moisture fell and things were dry, sandy, and skatey. I have one tubed and one tubless.

I can't say they are much of a mud tire (or that they are bad either) , but for us out here, "So what?" is the thought of the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I have 2 rides on Wolverines on my new IF 29er. They feel fast and grip good, feel heavy for a race tire, also mine is not sealing well on Stans 355 rim. It burbs air and I had to refill a couple of times during ride, granted conditions where not ideal with 15 degree temps.
 

·
I don't huck.
Joined
·
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
soulcraft29er said:
I have 2 rides on Wolverines on my new IF 29er. They feel fast and grip good, feel heavy for a race tire, also mine is not sealing well on Stans 355 rim. It burbs air and I had to refill a couple of times during ride, granted conditions where not ideal with 15 degree temps.
Yeah, race tire does not come to mind here. Trail tire, however... I have one Tubeless on a Flow and it has been perfect so far. Aired up with a floor pump and stayed there with Caffelatex in it.

I think it may be overkill for me as a rear tire. The Captain Control 2.2 sits there.
 

·
360 Video Developer
Joined
·
285 Posts
Been running stans converted Wolverines F/R on a full suspension Caletti for a few months now. Local Santa Cruz conditions have varied from dry redwood duff and hard pack, to short stretches of sloppy mud and wet sand. The Wolverines grip reliably on our steep climbs without issue, and at softer tubeless pressure hookup on bermed sweeping corners. Pressure really seems to make a difference, duh, when I was running these with tubes, they were good, but tubeless, they are very good.

Weight? My steel front, AL rear, 4" full squish trail ride Caletti (extra large frame size) is right at 30 pounds with the Wolverines. The weight seems spot on for a very sturdy, very stable tire. I'm very happy with the Wolverines.



 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top