Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have a 2010. Absolutely love it. Awesome ride but very utilitarian so if your looking for anything but functional this is not the vehicle for you. Very capable offroad...on par with if not better than stock jeeps I've been in. Any questions in particular I could answer for you?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I managed an auto repair facility, so have seen quite a few come through. Obviously, I only see the negative side but I will share with you. I always thought they are difficult to see out of due to the small rear window, and the vehicle sits high. I would think if someone isnt use to using their mirrors, which many people are not, they may have to get used to doing so. Another thing I noticed is that the repair bills are probably going to be more than you might be used to, that is just because it is a big SUV- ie. bigger tires, bigger rotors, etc. I looked up a window install for one a few months back and it was going to be something like $700. that is the highest I have ever seen for a front windshield. The folks that own them really like them though. I have known some guys that use them off-road in WV for river access and they have no complaints. One last thing, toyota has pulled the plug on making them so that can cause some problems, but not enough to pass on it. I drive a matrix, and my wife an element, both of which are discontinued.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 08 With a 3" lift 34" tires got 15 mpg with 4 bikes on the hitch and 3 on the roof loaded with all our gear. I like how it has no carpet, easy to clean. It is very hard to see behind and to the side. I also have a 34" spare that makes it even harder to see.

·
MTBR member
798 Posts
I have an Army Green 2010. I like it. It is very quiet and drives great in the snow. It does get a lot of chips in the window, but I have a frequent chip card. The cost of a new window install is irrelevent if you have a low/no deductable. I have no problem with the visibility issue-just use your mirrors. Check out fjcruisers.com. Fun car to drive.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Voice of dissent.

Not to be a hater... but... I wanted an FJ last year, but after doing some research I felt like the Nissan Xterra was clearly a better choice for a biking car. YMMV if you are interested in serious off-roading. I did really like the FJ, but I liked the Xterra even more.

Here are some of the things which influenced my decision:

FJ: Side-opening tailgate with spare means you can't access the back cargo area with bikes on a hitch rack.
Xterra: I can open the tailgate fully with 2 bikes on the rack (Kuat NV rack, 30" wide handlebars)

FJ: back windows don't roll down, suicide doors
Xterra: regular doors with windows that roll down

FJ: seats don't flip down flat
Xterra: Back seats flip down completely flat & flush. Takes a queen size air mattress with the seats down.

Prices (loaded) and gas milage are about the same.
The rockford-fosgate stereo, leather seats, and additional storage space and backseat legroom on the xterra bumped me over the edge. Very happy with mine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
lambOne said:
last thing, toyota has pulled the plug on making them so that can cause some problems, but not enough to pass on it. I drive a matrix, and my wife an element, both of which are discontinued.
This is the rumor every year on all of the FJ forums and thus far has never been the truth. After just releasing the 2011's I find it hard to believe they would put that info out so soon. The other rumor is that their coming out with a smaller version (ie Rav 4 sized) but I doubt this is true either. Other than that what you had to say is pretty spot on:thumbsup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
FM said:
Here are some of the things which influenced my decision:

FJ: Side-opening tailgate with spare means you can't access the back cargo area with bikes on a hitch rack.
Xterra: I can open the tailgate fully with 2 bikes on the rack (Kuat NV rack, 30" wide handlebars)
FWIW I have the same rack and the FJ door can open half way with the rack in the lowered position. Not quite as nice as full open but still quite functional.

FM said:
FJ: back windows don't roll down, suicide doors
Also just a note for the OP there are aftermarket companies producing opening windows for I think about $350 a set. The suicide doors can be a hassle at times.

FM said:
FJ: seats don't flip down flat
Xterra: Back seats flip down completely flat & flush. Takes a queen size air mattress with the seats down.
Sleeping on the bare floor on the FJ you will definitely notice the 2" bump in the floor...however I haven't noticed it at all with an air mattress (queen as well).

Not to discount the Xterra at all, they are awesome vehicles and every bit as functional as the FJ (in some respects mores so, and some less). Definitley something for the OP to look into as well....just wanted to throw out my personal experience with it.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Only way to get a FJ Cruiser is in the TRD trim, allllllllll black. If ya get a toyota, please be a TRD. Whether its a camry, FJ, tacoma, tundra.

·
3,707 Posts
Thought about getting one a few years back. Ive got a family, so the suicide doors killed the deal. Instead, I ended up with a UZJ100. Second choice would've been a 4Runner.

FJC is a very cool vehicle, but not very family friendly, rear visibility wasnt that great, front windshields are straight up and down and prone to cracks/chips. Advantage it had back then was the available rear locker and advanced ATRAC system. But now with the Trail Edition 4Runner, I can see no reason to get a FJC.

·
My spelling is atroshus
790 Posts
p nut said:
The 4.0 V6 isn't bad at all. If you're looking for speed, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. If you want some off road capability, get the FJC/4Runner.
The one I checked out seemed like it was weaker than my wife's honda pilot. I'd be willing to bet that if they put a toyota v8 truck motor in those FJ's they would pull hard as the dickens!:cool:

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
RBowles said:
The one I checked out seemed like it was weaker than my wife's honda pilot. I'd be willing to bet that if they put a toyota v8 truck motor in those FJ's they would pull hard as the dickens!:cool:
My friend has the Tacoma TRD Sport, same motor as the FJ. For about 5 grand he put a trd supercharger in. What a difference. :thumbsup:

·
3,707 Posts
RBowles said:
Like ProjEctDan said, TRD supercharger would make a big difference. But I'm a big Honda fan and I think Honda has an edge up on Toyota V6's. My folks have a MDX and it's a nice ride.

But again, the FJC has plenty of power to do what it was designed to do, and then some. But IMO, 4Runner will do everything an FJC will do. FJC does have a little shorter wheelbase, but if you're not doing super tight and tech trails, it doesn't matter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.