Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

As i continue with my new bike build and squeezing every gram off the thing (within reason!) these DT Adapters...

29g each - the main part must be about 3-4mm thick. Im thinking drilling holes in the body between the pins. This shouldnt affect strenght as its not a load bearing part - it wont affect rotor stability (like using a smaller lockring does)

Even if it saved 5 grams id be happy....

Thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL im trying to get a hold of one - just a cheap tatty one to play with.

Better save more than 1.3 grams this time :mad:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as per my OP i was gonna drill holes inbetween the pins on the adapter.

Making Divots will remove back material vital for disc stability. Whereas a hole will leave a bit of material across the top for the rotor to press agaisnt...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not a load bearing part???? In my engineering opinion I would say that part sees a huge amount of load when you are hard on the brakes..

Just drill holes in your brake pads...less wieght and better cooling!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its under a huge amount of load how come the dinky 3mm aluminium pins dont sheer off under braking then ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You sneered at my version of the "modified" DT adapter before. Now you're drilling away. Here it is again. I'm still using it, and it's still perfectly fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tiffster said:
If its under a huge amount of load how come the dinky 3mm aluminium pins dont sheer off under braking then ?

By your logic you might as well drill holes in the spokes.... they are dinky so they can't be under a load either :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt snear at it - i still to this day think that it's unsafe what you have done with that one. But it works for you - so that's all that matters.

And spokes are made out of hardened steel, no soft aluminium....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts