Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I may chk into seeing if I can get 12mm end caps for this hub in case I want to go the 142 wheel route later. But as many have posted, not too many stating noticeable improvements vs cost.
I agree. I've thought about it for convenience sake, but I don't think there's any noticeable improvement in the ride because the rear fork/whatever is rigid.

·
Registered
144 Posts
since this threads alive.

I broke the plastic handle on the thru-axel. Does anyone have any pointers for rebuilding it? I don't want to spend $60 on new axel… giant WTF.

·
rubber side down
514 Posts
I made the conversion. New wheel set too. I'm sure the difference is the wheel set, but I'm happy I did it and would again

·
Registered
997 Posts
I just bought both parts listed in this thread for the conversion on my '15 trance 2 off Jenson. To double check, this will fit my 15 (and not just the 14)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought both parts listed in this thread for the conversion on my '15 trance 2 off Jenson. To double check, this will fit my 15 (and not just the 14)?
Yep, they'll fit just fine.

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Continuing this thread bump:

I've searched thru here in different threads and links to parts. I noticed someone mention the Shimano t/a is 1.75, I see DT has a separate one listed for using on Pivot bikes as a 1.5.

Does anyone know the exact thread pitch needed on the thru axle to match the Giant dropouts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question of anthem 26 inch for 12*142 conversion

You are correct. 12x142 is marketing hype when applied to the maestro BTW. Don't worry about it. Think of it this way...12x142 is designed solely to add stiffness to the rear triangle. Now picture the maestro rear triangle. One welded piece without any pivots/linkages. Large aluminum or carbon tubes. There isn't any flex in this triangle, especially when you put ANY axle between the only open spot in the rear triangle. The only reason you'd want a 12x142 is if you already owned a wheelset with that axle.
Hi sorry to disturb but I have another question related to this old post. I have a 2012 giant anthem x alumni 26 inch and another 12*135/142 MTB rear wheel on hand. Currently the bike is using a QR rear wheel. Will this dropout kit works for me or I should get a adapter to tranfer 12*135 back to QR*135 or I should just get another hub and remake the wheel...Thank you so much for helping me out.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts