Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My wheelset will run either way, I'll call my LBS Monday and see about ordering it and the price, but I thought I read online in early reviews that the bike came with the parts to convert it?
Only the Advanced models come with the 142x12 conversion kit. The alloy frames and bikes do not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi MaestroMaster. Can you help. I'm trying to attach a pannier rack to my Anthem 2 (heresy, I know!) by using a skewer-mounted rack. I've found a rack whose mounts would fit but the DT Swiss system doesn't allow me to do this at the non-handle end, without unscrewing the screw which holds the derailleur dropout: and also the fixing into which the DT Swiss screws, gets in the way. Can you advise any way round this?

·
Your Best Friend
5,229 Posts
So you want to attach it at the axles and where else?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Your Best Friend
5,229 Posts
And when the suspension cycles through, the rack will hit the seat post?

·
Your Best Friend
5,229 Posts
Seriously? I'm trying to figure out how a rear pannier rack, attached to a rear triangle, on a full suspension bicycle, will actually work. Please talk me through it. Just curious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
guys, just bringing this one up, is it really necessary to convert the existing axle of my Giant Anthem 3 (2015) to 142x12 standard? because right now i'm looking to upgrade the wheelset and was wondering if it it's worth to make it 142x12... the parts conversion kits, plus the specific axle type is driving me nuts, it's so hard to get it where i'm from the dealers here are clueless.

·
Registered
84 Posts
guys, just bringing this one up, is it really necessary to convert the existing axle of my Giant Anthem 3 (2015) to 142x12 standard? because right now i'm looking to upgrade the wheelset and was wondering if it it's worth to make it 142x12... the parts conversion kits, plus the specific axle type is driving me nuts, it's so hard to get it where i'm from the dealers here are clueless.
I found the conversion did nothing in terms of performance, but made it easier to position the wheel/disc rotor relative to the brake caliper. If you are getting wheels anyway, the conversion kit does not add too much expense and is available from Jenson.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thank you, that's reassuring to know... on a side note, are the hubs of the stock Anthem 10x135 or 12x135? these axle standards are confusing me!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I found the conversion did nothing in terms of performance, but made it easier to position the wheel/disc rotor relative to the brake caliper. If you are getting wheels anyway, the conversion kit does not add too much expense and is available from Jenson.
The conversion kit is available from Jenson? I see the axle but not the kit.

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Pretty sure the Giant 3 level MTBs still come with 10x135 axle/hubs.
Yes that's what my 3 has. I just swapped out my 10mm thru axle & end cup setup back to the standard qr ones on my 135 DT Swiss 240s rr wheel. Wont have benefit of a thru axle but the better/lighter wheel/tire will be an improvement. Test run later this morning.

I may chk into seeing if I can get 12mm end caps for this hub in case I want to go the 142 wheel route later. But as many have posted, not too many stating noticeable improvements vs cost.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts