Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Max,

Was the included 142 axle a DT Swiss model with the flat washer?

The reason I ask is that my Anthem 27.5 frame set came with the conversion kit but no thru axle. I ordered a dt Swiss axle (which is what the giant website said was spec) and the threads didn't match on the nut in the conversion kit. I'm waiting on a response from Giant. Hopefully they just sent the wrong nut with the frame.
Hi,
I believe it was a generic through axle and not a DT Swiss.
We have the two basic model Trance's.
I will double check when back in work Monday.
Thanx ,
Max

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I believe it was a generic through axle and not a DT Swiss.
We have the two basic model Trance's.
I will double check when back in work Monday.
Thanx ,
Max
Spoke with Giant and you are right Max. The 142 axle is not a dt Swiss. The website is incorrect. The giant axle has a different thread pitch. Must use a giant axle to fit the convertible dropouts from giant.

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,964 Posts
Seriously?! Is this just to make $$ selling conversion kits, or is there a possible technical reason for this?
The thead is more coarse than a standard DT Swiss axle...My guess is it's a $$$$ thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
where can I get the conversion kit to 12x142? Bought an anthem used but want to switch to 12x142 that I have in another wheelset.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,731 Posts
^giant dealer can order one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok Guys, As I work as the mechanic at one of the concept stores over here in the UK, here's the definitive lowdown:

The bikes that come as QR as standard do not come with conversion kits in the box they are sold separately. They do however come with a spare hanger (the same as the one already fitted) included in the box.

The same applies for the bikes that come with 142x12 as standard, they will not come with a conversion kit, however they will come with a spare hanger that matches the one already fitted.

You can order the following kits from Giant dealers with these part numbers:

QR - 1280GS834609A1
image_975_4_5637387406.jpg
142x12 - 1280GS834609B1
image_975_4_5637387407.jpg

The 142x12 axle that comes on the bikes is a specifically designed one made for Giant by DT Swiss. It uses a DT Swiss RWS style axle, but the thread is different. It uses the same thread that is found on a Shimano 142x12 axle.

You are unable to use a DT Swiss axle as the threads are different, and the other end of the axle is cone shaped, not flat.

You can in theory use a Shimano axle, however:

The Shimano axles use a nut on the end which is free to move - so that you can adjust where the thread starts - which means that you can place the lever (once closed) in any direction you like. Because the Giant design uses a thread that is attached to the frame, you cannot adjust where the thread starts, therefore when the lever is closed it may foul the chain/seatstay or the brake mount.

The DT Swiss axle uses their RWS design, meaning you can pull the lever out (even when the axle is tight) and adjust the finishing position of the lever.

You can use the Shimano axle as the threads will fit, but it's pot luck whether the lever will foul the frame or not. Your best bet is to order the specific axle which uses the part number: 1529-GDTRWS-402

image_975_4_5637395685.jpg

Also, for those of you that may wish to order the QR skewer to go along with your QR dropouts the part number is: 1529-GDTRWS-403

image_975_4_5637383445.jpg

This should probably tell you everything you need to know but if you have any other questions please ask.

(What a hell of a first post eh?)

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,964 Posts
LBS Giant dealer is where I got mine...Got REAL LUCKY because they had it in stock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got a Shimano axle (1.75mm thread pitch) to complete my conversion. A washer or two between the axle cam and the frame allows you to tune the closed position of the lever.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,731 Posts
Just now picked up my conversion for Giant XTC advanced 2015
-----

bike shipped as 135

obtained:

-dropout pieces x 3 plus screws
-hub inserts
-DT skewer specific for Giant!!! The Giant dropouts don't use 'common threading' it is a coarser thread pitch

anyhow I got the pieces and yes Giant uses a thread pitch specific to them, not the usual pitch

EDIT: based on the post below mine, then it is not a specific thread. Note however, in the land of 12x142, it is the coarse thread pitch not a fine pitch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello everyone , i did the conversion in a xtc adv 3 , i bought the dropout in sos hanger, and the axle in chain reaction. i boght a DT Swiss E-thru axle and works perfect , is not a specific axle.
Looks like the E-Thru axle is slightly different do the other DT Swiss axles we've seen so far. Great to know! This gives us another option. We'll order one in and double check to confirm.

Thanks for the info!

·
Rocks belong
5,266 Posts
Stumbled across this thread... I think I have a few spare parts if they can help anyone.

Qty: 1, Giant hanger
Qty: 4, 12x142 Giant hanger

FullSizeRender.jpg QR giant hanger.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm confused here...Does the Giant branded skewer ratchet so you can index the position of the lever once tight or not? or does if fall wherever the threads finish???

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine seems to be stuck...the lever doesnt pop out like my buddy who has the QR version installed in his trance. Are the 12x142 heads know to stick?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts