Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding that race this year and will most likely be riding a geared full suspension rig but i'm just curious if anyone has done it on single speed? I hate riding geared bikes and would love to bring my vicious down instead of riding a crack'n'fail scalpel.

input, advice????

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've talked with a guy who generally only..

rides SS, and he'd done La Ruta twice and said an SS would be a bad idea. He's pretty fit as well. From his description of the race, you'll enjoy those gears.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually sorta kidding. I dont think it's possible to ride that race on a SS. After searching google and reading some stories i now know for a fact it would be suicide:)

45mile climb up a 12,000ft volcano? ez.

I enjoy signing up for things that i've little knowledge of other than a few stories from a racer i met last weekend:) I picked a doozy this time!

note to self: do research before spending $650 and buying a 400 dollar plane ticket!

and for the guy asking how fit you should be...you want to be in good enough shape to climb all day for 100mi in 12 hours or less.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ERoman said:
I'm gonna pose the question to I.F., fly my a$$ down there and I'm in for the long slow haul...29" SingleSpeed! Anyone?
$650 for the race includes transportation from san jose airport, lodging and breakfast dinner + support at the aid stations. my plane ticket was $379 from JFK flying out wednesday night and coming back late monday night after the race.

I honestly think you should read first hand accounts before diving in on a single speed. bad a$$ warriors on geared bikes drop like flys at this race and many take IVs and other crazy stuff at nights because their bodies are so wasted. I still feel like it would be possible to ride a single speed because most people don't understand a single speed is better in pretty much everything besides flats and it doesn't sound like there are any there...my opinion but many agree here i think:) 100 miles a day for 3 days with minimal sleep in terrible conditions..mostly mud and extremely hot and cold weather.???

it's literally, most seem to agree that have done it, the hardest mountain bike race in the world.

And yes, hollywood, I mailed in the info to sign up. Crazy i know! Hopefully fun!

·
kellyme
28 Posts
I did LaRuta last year and loved it. There was one guy with a Soulcraft singlespeed who finished quite OK. In 90th place or around there. Cudos

I would prefer to do it on a geary though.

Cudos as well to Brett Wolfe, the one legged survivor, who gave me a life saving rotor before the start. Thanks mate.

Me and my kelly HT suffering during last years day three.

Attachments

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Hardest mountain bike race?

Hhhmmmm.....hardest mountain bike race in the world would have to go to the GDR...Great Divide Race. Canada to Mexico, unsupported. Yep, unsupported, carry whatever you're going to need. Did I mention that it takes the winners roughly 16 days?

That's 2465 miles, with 200,000 feet of elevation gain.

That's averaging 154 miles per day, carrying all your own gear.

Damn.

La Ruta looks fun and horrible at the same time, I don't think the course looks too terrible for an SS, considering what people are pulling off these days.

Spookykinkajou said:
$650 for the race includes transportation from san jose airport, lodging and breakfast dinner + support at the aid stations. my plane ticket was $379 from JFK flying out wednesday night and coming back late monday night after the race.

I honestly think you should read first hand accounts before diving in on a single speed. bad a$$ warriors on geared bikes drop like flys at this race and many take IVs and other crazy stuff at nights because their bodies are so wasted. I still feel like it would be possible to ride a single speed because most people don't understand a single speed is better in pretty much everything besides flats and it doesn't sound like there are any there...my opinion but many agree here i think:) 100 miles a day for 3 days with minimal sleep in terrible conditions..mostly mud and extremely hot and cold weather.???

it's literally, most seem to agree that have done it, the hardest mountain bike race in the world.

And yes, hollywood, I mailed in the info to sign up. Crazy i know! Hopefully fun!

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Why not?

My friend is looking into getting some financial support, and if he does we only have SS's. It won't kill you(in theory). I have been wanting to give it a go since Roman told me all about it at the 24 hour Conyers race in 2000 and 2 weeks later at the Worlds. He was telling me it would be big some day. 343 racers last year, all converging on Costa Rica, sounds like success to me. I am not getting any younger, so I better get while the getting is good.
I would definitely have a different gear on each day, though.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
teamdicky said:
My friend is looking into getting some financial support, and if he does we only have SS's. It won't kill you(in theory). I have been wanting to give it a go since Roman told me all about it at the 24 hour Conyers race in 2000 and 2 weeks later at the Worlds. He was telling me it would be big some day. 343 racers last year, all converging on Costa Rica, sounds like success to me. I am not getting any younger, so I better get while the getting is good.
I would definitely have a different gear on each day, though.
It is tempting to go for it. I've read numerous stories on the horrors of chainsuck and perhaps the SS could avoid some of those problems. On the second day it seems like you would need a pretty large rear cog to climb all day without nuking your legs and then just not pedal for the descent. the others, since i have no clue what the terrain is like would be tougher to pick. it can't be THAT steep overall though since i've done a race in one day with 25 less miles and the same amount of climbing as an avg day at la ruta. had no issues running 34-21 then.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
That's what I was thinking

I did the Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell with a 32 X17. It was 55(?) miles and 13,000 ft of climbing. Granted my legs were toast the next day, but I would have a lot of easier gears to choose from. It definitely would be hard to pick a gear for the 1st and 3rd day. Maybe by day 3 a lack of energy and motivation could make the choice for you. I was thinking (just thinking) 32X19 or 34X19 on day one, 32X19 or 32X20 on day two, and back to the same gears from day one to finish.
I would love to know the cut off times before I commit. I feel like this race takes all kids and you just need to stick with it. It does sound like a lot of people do have drivetrain difficulties and we would be avoiding that. Not to metion less mud build up/drivetrain resistance, and weight to carry.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice..

number plate!

How did you get numero uno? First to register, or win the race last year?

MC

larutaviking said:
I did LaRuta last year and loved it. There was one guy with a Soulcraft singlespeed who finished quite OK. In 90th place or around there. Cudos

I would prefer to do it on a geary though.

Cudos as well to Brett Wolfe, the one legged survivor, who gave me a life saving rotor before the start. Thanks mate.

Me and my kelly HT suffering during last years day three.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
teamdicky said:
I did the Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell with a 32 X17. It was 55(?) miles and 13,000 ft of climbing. Granted my legs were toast the next day, but I would have a lot of easier gears to choose from. It definitely would be hard to pick a gear for the 1st and 3rd day. Maybe by day 3 a lack of energy and motivation could make the choice for you. I was thinking (just thinking) 32X19 or 34X19 on day one, 32X19 or 32X20 on day two, and back to the same gears from day one to finish.
I would love to know the cut off times before I commit. I feel like this race takes all kids and you just need to stick with it. It does sound like a lot of people do have drivetrain difficulties and we would be avoiding that. Not to metion less mud build up/drivetrain resistance, and weight to carry.
The cutoff time is before dark. i think you get approximately 12 hours each day. I dont know this for sure it's just the impression i got when reading some stories.

I would probably stick with 34-21 on the first day unless i saw a map to show me there were lots of flats for extended periods of time. i get the impression its either up or down the entire time though. if lots of flats then 34-19. 34-21 day two and 34-34 day 3?:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.