Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the “naked running band belt”, “Compressport free belt pro” and even camelbak came out with the “ultra band”

I like the minimalist idea behind it, how it gives you more “freedom, and yet still holds a liter of water while still fitting under your shirt

Has anyone tried these running bands (not hip packs)?

Love to hear your experience on the mountain bike trails with these things

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have one I basically throw my keys and phone in for shorter or local rides. I can fit a very light windbreaker in it as well if I want.

I put the water in a water bottle on the frame though.

·
Registered
18,547 Posts
I picture the band loaded with stuff sliding down off your waist and around your thighs and seatpost, effectively catching you in a double
leg takedown.

It’s probably okay though. Let us know!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picture the band loaded with stuff sliding down off your waist and around your thighs and seatpost, effectively catching you in a double
leg takedown.

It's probably okay though. Let us know!
That's funny!

But supposedly the bands are very tight and people use them for back support as well

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
Here is a video reviewing the naked running band, after the 1 minute mark, he demonstrates how much bulky stuff it can carry with room to spare

He put half a liter of water in there. Okay, you could cram a whole liter in, but that's going to take away quite a lot of usable space from other things.

That's a hard no from me. If I was still running, I'd probably be interested in such a thing because he demonstrated loading it with a similar amount of stuff that I might carry. But I have zero interest in anything minimalist like that on the bike. I have a minimum kit I ride with, and the only minimalism I'm interested in is how to carry that required kit more efficiently. Which really isn't minimalism at all.

If I'm doing minimalism on the bike, I'm riding with a bottle, first and foremost. I'm also going to utilize some sort of on-bike repair kit storage like an edc kit or similar. At that point, what do I need that silly belt for?

·
Registered
18,547 Posts
That's funny!

But supposedly the bands are very tight and people use them for back support as well
One hard landing on a jump and it could bounce up into bra position. You'd have man-boobs that can fix a flat or break a chain! Actually I assumed you are male. If you're female then you could use it instead of a sports bra maybe?

It would probably work fine. I have used a minimalist running belt to carry a cell phone before and it worked well. I don't like the feel of anything constricting my belly though but it worked.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Seems like a cool device, most of my rides are one bottle in the bike, and only a few things to take with, so this may work. I'd be interested in a mountain biking review as the body position is different. You'd have to wear it backwards I think so the two pockets are on your back, and the one up front is empty or just has very small/soft items because on a bike we are leaned over/with our knees closer to our chest.
Cool find, anyway

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like a cool device, most of my rides are one bottle in the bike, and only a few things to take with, so this may work. I'd be interested in a mountain biking review as the body position is different. You'd have to wear it backwards I think so the two pockets are on your back, and the one up front is empty or just has very small/soft items because on a bike we are leaned over/with our knees closer to our chest.
Cool find, anyway

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Some have 360 degrees pockets so you can shift the items anywhere that's more comfortable

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He put half a liter of water in there. Okay, you could cram a whole liter in, but that's going to take away quite a lot of usable space from other things.

That's a hard no from me. If I was still running, I'd probably be interested in such a thing because he demonstrated loading it with a similar amount of stuff that I might carry. But I have zero interest in anything minimalist like that on the bike. I have a minimum kit I ride with, and the only minimalism I'm interested in is how to carry that required kit more efficiently. Which really isn't minimalism at all.

If I'm doing minimalism on the bike, I'm riding with a bottle, first and foremost. I'm also going to utilize some sort of on-bike repair kit storage like an edc kit or similar. At that point, what do I need that silly belt for?
How much storage do you need. The belt can fit a liter of water, multi tool, first aid kit, cell phone, tube, energy bar/gels, keys, rain jacket, and probably still have room for more.

I've seen one review where a runner went grocery shopping and stuffed his dinner in his belt

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
I'm starting to think you have too much time on your hands.
That's a sore subject.

How much storage do you need. The belt can fit a liter of water, multi tool, first aid kit, cell phone, tube, energy bar/gels, keys, rain jacket, and probably still have room for more.

I've seen one review where a runner went grocery shopping and stuffed his dinner in his belt
What do I carry on a ride? Depends on the ride, but here's what's common in my pack:

Water. Anywhere from 1L to 6L depending on the ride (yes, sometimes I put 2 bladders in my pack). And sometimes a water filter.
Food. I carry more than just a bar. Usually a bar plus some gummies. Plus electrolyte tablets in summertime. Sometimes I pack a whole lunch if I plan to be out longer.
Repair kit. More than just "a multitool" too. Tube (maybe a 29er tube, maybe a fatbike tube, depending on which bike I'm riding), patch kit, plugs, extra sealant, knife, WT pack pliers with spare quick links, zip ties, duct tape, pump, sometimes a shock pump (when I am dialing suspension or doing a long ride).
First aid kit.
Sometimes a jacket

I guarantee that little belt can't fit all of that stuff in it. And even if you cram it to its capacity, it won't do that for all that long because elastic wears out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a sore subject.

What do I carry on a ride? Depends on the ride, but here's what's common in my pack:

Water. Anywhere from 1L to 7L depending on the ride. And sometimes a water filter.
Food. I carry more than just a bar. Usually a bar plus some gummies. Plus electrolyte tablets in summertime. Sometimes I pack a whole lunch if I plan to be out longer.
Repair kit. More than just "a multitool" too. Tube (maybe a 29er tube, maybe a fatbike tube, depending on which bike I'm riding), patch kit, plugs, extra sealant, knife, WT pack pliers with spare quick links, zip ties, duct tape, pump, sometimes a shock pump (when I am dialing suspension or doing a long ride).
First aid kit.
Sometimes a jacket

I guarantee that little belt can't fit all of that stuff in it. And even if you cram it to its capacity, it won't do that for all that long because elastic wears out.
I carry the same stuff minus the water (only need 500-1000ml for most rides). Maybe your equipment is to big, bulky, and heavy

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
I carry the same stuff minus the water (only need 500-1000ml for most rides). Maybe your equipment is to big, bulky, and heavy
The weight of my pack comes primarily from the water. Unless you're dehydrating your water... Bulk? Yeah, some of the stuff I carry can be bulky. The water filter has some bulk. Can't change that fact. My pump is 20yrs old and bigger than it minimally needs to be, maybe, but I certainly appreciate that when I need to inflate a big tire. The pump still works great, so not interested in replacing it with some teeny roadie pump. Not going to cut down on the bulk of my first aid kit, either. The stuff in there is stuff I've actually used to patch other people up. My tools and food are mostly spread out in my pack in the various organizing pockets, so they don't take up much space currently. But without organizing pockets such as on this belt, I'd have to do something to contain all the little stuff to keep it from falling out. Because the stretchy pockets on this thing aren't going to be doing much of that, especially in a wreck. I see this thing as being very yard sale prone.

Plus, consider where we ride. You apparently live on Long Island, so at most, suburban landscape. I live near Pisgah, which is more of a backcountry setting (at least parts of the area are) and you can get into trouble fast. Even the more "frontcountry" areas here are most likely more remote than anything on Long Island. I also ride with groups of kids for about 8mo out of the year. That often means carrying a bit more gear even still. I'll throw in a 2nd tube, a few more quick links (different speeds), and carry a bit more food for those occasions.

We already determined this isn't for you. Move along, your presence is not a benefit here.
OP asked a question, which includes both affirmative and negative potential responses. Just because I have a negative response to that question doesn't mean my presence or my responses have no benefit.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.