Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking in to getting a bike on saturday and i stumbled apon a 2002 stinky with a ****** fork. has anyone or is anyone having a bad experience with the 2002 frame? thanks
i got pics of it if you guys want a look at it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
themarsvolta55 said:
im looking in to getting a bike on saturday and i stumbled apon a 2002 stinky with a ****** fork. has anyone or is anyone having a bad experience with the 2002 frame? thanks
how much?

ive got no probs with my 04 stinky frame

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
themarsvolta55 said:
is there any difference with metal thickness or any improvments from the 2002 and the 2004 stinky?
i do believe the 02 is 5 in of travel though i might be wrong

dont know much metal thickness wise, anyone got a link to konas 2002 web site?

·
Registered
167 Posts
You could also look into an 04 Stinky with Slider plus Hint Hint pm me

·
G3Riders
168 Posts
yep, 5" of travel...

Chikity China said:
i do believe the 02 is 5 in of travel though i might be wrong

dont know much metal thickness wise, anyone got a link to konas 2002 web site?
Indeed, Stinky model 2002 had 5" travel rear. I'd suggest getting DangerBoy rocker arm (longer travel kit) and you get 7".

Some photos of my friend's Kona Stinky 2002 after Danger Boy upgrade.

(you can find lots of technical data on Stinky 2002 on web, just use Google :))

·
Registered
112 Posts
themarsvolta55 said:
I recently sold my 5" 2002 Stinky.
I never had any problems with the frame itself, the only thing that ever 'bended' was the top shock bolt (the one that connects the rocker-arm with the shock) and it was replaced by a new one from the hardware store. I bottomed really hard several times in the same day.
The frame is almost indestructible and the newer Stinky's still have the same kona clump tubing, the most noticable thing that changed is the travel, 6" for 2003 and 7" for 2004 and later. The geo also changed a little since 2002, but with a Boxxer my HA was perfect for technical DH and all the rest. It was around 68* with my 170mm dual crown.

The guy who bought my bike is riding a lot of urban, NorthShore and DJ's and still no problems at all....and he go's big.

If you have the $$, swap the Vanilla for a Manitou Swinger or a Fox DHX and the bike will ride twice as good.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I used to have a 2001 Stinky (green ones) and while I should have kept it longer, it was an awesome bike. It's what got me into freeriding. Mine only had a 03 Sherman Flick on it which made it ride sort of like a xc/fr bike instead of a dh/fr bike which I think at the time was what I wanted but was ignorant as to what to do. It's an awesome bike. I don't know about the 02, but the 01 the rear shock had a pretty linear feel, so you may want to get a softer spring if you plan on doing many drops but I'm not sure how it's setup.....might's well go for it. :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
I had an 02 Stinky. Great bike...For a thousand it seems a little high but still in there. I would replace the shock. No dampening or other adjustments. Just a spring

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm riding one and like it, no issues. As one other poster noted, the geometry has changed since 2002. The head angle on the 2002 with the stock 5" fork is relatively steep compared to most current freeride offerings. Throw a Boxxer or Jr. T on there and it's perfect.

As others mentioned, $1000 US is a bit steep. I paid $1500 CDN for mine brand new, and could probably only get $900-$1000 CDN for it now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.