Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got low end wtb speeddisc hubs....getting the cones properly adjusted is not real easy..yeah, yeah, i've read through the Park tool site and it proves it...has anyone popped out the pressed cups and then found some sealed bearings to press in there

all you'd need then is maybe some spacers and you've got it?

buying new wheels is expensive

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Will not work easily or without some machining. Would be cheaper/easier to replace the wheels.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Is Absolutlly nothing wrong with Cones and losee ball bearing, in fact ball bearing will outlast a seal bearing (in theory) since the cones can keep getting adjusted when the races wear out and the ball bearing can be change, yes seal bearings are far less troublesome when they are working fine, but then they stop working they are a total pain to deal with, speciailly if you don't have a acess to a good bearing shop..

just keep your wheels until they wear out and then find something more to you liking...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
What Shiggy said.... and supposing you just can stick a bearing in there, which one??

Single row full complement or angular?? Which series?? How long will it last??

It's not impossible, but sure harder than just adjusting a cone bearing.

Just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Shiggy is right, it will require machining. I have done this back in my roadie days. I had to machine the hub bores to accept a standard sealed bearing, then make a custom axle since the original steel threaded one was not well suited to just modify. I also made the axles out of aluminum to cut a bit of weight. If you do decide to try it and are not a machinist, good luck. Check out a local community college if they have a machine shop class. You may find that an advanced student would be interested in a project. Also, here's a tip to remove the original bearing cups if there is no lip or shoulder to pry them out with. Have a welder run a small bead of weld on the inside of the cup. This shrinks the steel and it will fall out of the bore.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Vancbiker said:
Also, here's a tip to remove the original bearing cups if there is no lip or shoulder to pry them out with. Have a welder run a small bead of weld on the inside of the cup. This shrinks the steel and it will fall out of the bore.
I've seen people welding (tack welding to be proper) a bar across the hole, so you can punch them out if the cup doesn't come off.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
adamantane said:
alright, alright...i just hate re-packing, they should have a competition on who can do it without grease everywhere
I get grease everywhere when I repack a cartridge bearing, too.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, alright...i just hate re-packing, they should have a competition on who can do it without grease everywhere

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh well, in 5 or so years...bikes won't have these ridiculous cone and race systems anymore...all sealed bearing, the way it should be

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
adamantane said:
oh well, in 5 or so years...bikes won't have these ridiculous cone and race systems anymore...all sealed bearing, the way it should be
Don't bet on it. I have been using cartridge bearing hubs since 1985. Proportionally there are just and many cart bearing hubs and loose ball hubs on the market now as there were then. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Loose ball hubs still have a cost advantage on the low end and a rolling resistance advantage on the high end.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why is it Shimano continues to spec cup and cones on XT and XTR? Their top of the line stuff. Is is because they're just cheap bastards? Seems like the advantages of cartridge bearings outweigh the disadvantages.

shiggy said:
Don't bet on it. I have been using cartridge bearing hubs since 1985. Proportionally there are just and many cart bearing hubs and loose ball hubs on the market now as there were then. I do not see that changing anytime soon.

Loose ball hubs still have a cost advantage on the low end and a rolling resistance advantage on the high end.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Trailhappy said:
Why is it Shimano continues to spec cup and cones on XT and XTR? Their top of the line stuff. Is is because they're just cheap bastards? Seems like the advantages of cartridge bearings outweigh the disadvantages.
well...
shiggy said:
...and a rolling resistance advantage on the high end.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So is it just a race thing? Faster rolling wheels, lighter and fine for shorter term use? But tougher to service and not as weather resistant in the longer term?

shiggy said:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Trailhappy said:
But tougher to service
I learned to service a cone bearing when I was 12... I wouldn't say it was tough.

What's "tough" with a couple cones and nuts to tighten.

There are many things that can go wrong seating a ball bearing into its housing. It's not rocket science either and has to be done much less likely.

But saying than a cone bearing is tougher to service is a bit of a stretch.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warp2003 said:
I learned to service a cone bearing when I was 12... I wouldn't say it was tough.

What's "tough" with a couple cones and nuts to tighten.

There are many things that can go wrong seating a ball bearing into its housing. It's not rocket science either and has to be done much less likely.

But saying than a cone bearing is tougher to service is a bit of a stretch.
yeah, i prolly adjust the cones the same way you do, just like we did in 1978...but take a look as the park website...proper adjustment is kind of an empirical process...this is what drives me up a wall...for sealed bearing just bottom them out in the slot with a press and you are done, put wheel back on and ride...

again, sealed bearing should and will take over

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've got low end wtb speeddisc hubs....getting the cones properly adjusted is not real easy..yeah, yeah, i've read through the Park tool site and it proves it...has anyone popped out the pressed cups and then found some sealed bearings to press in there

all you'd need then is maybe some spacers and you've got it?

buying new wheels is expensive
hi there, sir/mam can you share me the link of parktool that ur saying? bec. i have a shimano deore fh-m525 hub that i want to convert to sealed bearing. thanks in advance keep safe😊

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
High quality conehubs = easy to adjust
low quality or shotty cone hubs - hard or impossible to adjust properly

1 - 20 of 22 Posts