Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scooterist
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned and raced a Niner Sir9 the last couple of years and been gagging to try ti for years.

To cut a short story long, I didn`t even look at the geo on the El Maraiachi before I had (pre) orderd my ti.

Comparing the geo charts, the small doesn`t appear to be that different. Longer chainstays on the Mar but with shorter wheelbase and top tube pluss slightly longer head tube. (no problem as I have a 5mm spacer on the niner)

Colorfulness Text Font Parallel Screenshot

Colorfulness Text White Line Style

Now, i`m not even going to pretend that I know what these differences mean in the real world except maybe a longer stem. (I`m running a 90mm on the Sir at the mo)

Frame material asside, has anyone tried both these bikes back to back?

I have run the sir with both a 2008 F29 @ 100mm and the new 2010 F29 @ 100mm with the 15mm thru-axel. Even with the newer rake, I couldnt tell the difference in cornering on the new fork appart from some extra stiffness... Am I right in thinking that a 100mm stem will slow down the steering or is 10mm negligable?

As you can tell, I`m pretty excited and realy want to have something to read until Salsa reliese all the gory details and pictures :D

Appart from the stem am I correct in thinking that the only other part I may need swap is the front gear? I just want to get it built as soon as it hits these shores ready for racing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ridden both.... new owner of a SIR, friend has a gorgeous Mariachi. I like both....

They were set up differently, but I would say that the Niner is a slightly more race-oriented geometry - a bit steeper, shorter stays, longer front centre. It feels very close to the Selma/Mamasita to me.

The Mariachi is bang on for a "one bike" sort of geometry in my experience... very good balance of stability and cornerning speed. I would say if you ran a bit more sag in the fork to get the axle to crown nice and low it'd be very close - Mariachi is optimised for a short fork. Can't go wrong though I feel! Front derailleur should be the only change, although the chain might have to be a link longer?

If you're running a 100mm fork, I'm inclined to feel a longer stem will work well to keep your weight over the front.

·
Scooterist
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thats sounds good.

I`ve only got one mtb and was looking for a slightly lighter bike I can use mostlty as a trail bike as well as a weekend racer.... Basicly what I have used the sir for the last few years.

The last ti bike I had looked just as good as when I bought it when it was stolen after 5 years of abuse and Salsa seem like a good bunch so I felt pretty safe ordeing one without seeing it.

·
Scooterist
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure? The seat tube on the salsa is half an inch longer, I can`t see that the bb is 3.5 inch lower than the niner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking at the same two frames and I think they are both great but for my short legs the medium sir 9 has a 28.6 standover and the salsa is 31.6 unless I am reading something wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts