Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a geared specific 29'er and was considering a Niner MCR. Anyone out there with an MCR or a SIR that would care to comment?

I'm about 230 lbs and am in search of a bike frame that won't flex too much under my weight. I am also interested to hear about tire clearance, handling and ride quality.

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Got mine built on Thursday and have put about 40 miles on it so far. Rides great. I have and XL and weight about 200 dressed w/o gear. I can't notice any flex when riding. I'm running a 2.1 ignitor in the rear, but it looks like fatter tires will be fince. Can't comment on how fat, though. Overall: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
774 Posts
265 lb. SIR9 rider...

and no problems whatsoever. The XL frame is compliant, but not flexy (springy is a better description). You won't be dissapaointed with the Niner. Very good handling package, especially with the Rigid niner fork.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a XL SIR and like it a lot. It rides like you expect from a steel bike, I have no problems with too much flex at all. Niner frames come to you faced and reamed, so you can throw on the parts and ride. Overall quality and finisch of the frames is great

I tried a Weirwolf in the rear and that fits just fine. As has been said before, go SIR if you want to try ss or internal gear hub.

Good luck with your choice!

JJ

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
speeder3800 said:
If you go with the Sir 9 you could run SS later if you want to give that a try. I want a one nine bad.
I already have a Fisher Rig so I don't need the EBB option to convert to SS. The MCR will be my do everything bike so I want a 29'er that is a dedicated geared bike. As previously stated, I've experienced a lot of flex and clearance issues associated with the Fisher frames. I'm hoping that the Niner offers a compliant ride without the lateral flex of the Fishers. That might be asking too much but I hope not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.