Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between the obviously larger Rav4 and a new Fiesta. The reviews on the Fiesta are insanely positive and intrigue me. I am wondering if I can fit a MTB in the back with the seats down and the wheel off.

The Rav4 I would probably buy used. I am looking at an 07 with a v6 (LE edition) and 36k miles on it. I am looking to spend $20k.

A new car that averages 30+ MPG and can fit a bike in the back is real tempting.

I was looking at the Mazda3, but I decided against it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I strongly considered it, but I was really disappointed with the lack of rear cargo space. The seats do not fold even remotely flat. That was the deal breaker for me as I do not want a roof rack and want to be able to stick the bikes in standing up (with front wheel removed). You can slide one in, but it does not leave you a lot of workable space and a second bike might be a lot of work (if you can get one in at all).

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,156 Posts
We just got a new Prius on a killer lease deal - $200/month. Bikes fit in the back easy, seats fold down flat enough to sleep back there and i've been averaging about 45 mpg.

·
another day at the office
1,197 Posts
Prius +1 for practicality, -2 for fun factor.
Priuses can accomodate more cargo than you would initially believe, but they are very uninspiring to drive.

On the other hand, the Fiesta is a hoot to drive, but does require its little engine to spool up into the upper revs before it really starts to get going. Someone found my photos and I can verify trying to fit a bike in the back just wasn't happening.

If the RAV4 is on your short list, then go with that. Bikes fit inside - one wheel off, and upright - no problem. Picture below is of a 2009 RAV4 with my road bike inside.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
2 different cars for the same purpose, hauling bikes.
What it comes down to is what is more important; hauling bikes inside or gas mileage?
If you haul a lot of stuff all the time, I'd go with the Rav4, but if bike(s) are the only thing, then the Fiesta with a roof rack would get my vote.
Hell, the reason I bought my Element was that I could fit 4 bikes upright inside without taking off the wheels. Now granted you can't fit all 4 riders that goes along with the bikes :(
But I also have my Protege5 with roof rack to carry my bike(s) to the close trails.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
VW Golf?

The new Golf MK6 looks pretty dang sweet. Tons of room in back. I had a MK3 Golf GTi and could easily get a bike in there flat with the front wheel off. New Golfs are bigger.

That inline 5 cyl engine uses a bit of gas, tho. It probably won't make your 30 mpg requirement.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good posts. I am going to check out the RAV4. It still gets really good gas mileage from what I have seen. mid 20s and up for an SUV is awesome IMO.

The fact that you just can not fit a bike in the Fiesta is a killer. Struggling to fit a bike in a brand new car, would suck. I have a 1 bmx bike and 1 mtb. I would like to be able to haul 2 MTBs if I take a buddy riding, so the Rav 4 seems like the way to go. I could probably fit them inside the car or buy a rack.

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
the first and second gen rav4 were the best in my opinion

·
Registered
279 Posts
I drive a base model honda fit and took an XL Giant Anthem and my Medium Trek EX 9.8 with plenty of extra room left with just the front tires off. The bikes sit upright and it works great. Getting around 35-38 mpg with air on high and the thing is fun to drive. I am glad I got ride of the Tacoma for this...actually more room and drives better. I also paid 15K for a 2010 so the price is right...just thought I would share...BR

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BenR said:
I drive a base model honda fit and took an XL Giant Anthem and my Medium Trek EX 9.8 with plenty of extra room left with just the front tires off. The bikes sit upright and it works great. Getting around 35-38 mpg with air on high and the thing is fun to drive. I am glad I got ride of the Tacoma for this...actually more room and drives better. I also paid 15K for a 2010 so the price is right...just thought I would share...BR
Thats awesome. I like the FIT, it just looks a little weird to me..Something about how the new Hondas front window is angled bugs me a lot, but I definitley need to look at it more.

I am looking at Mazda 3 aIso. Definitely considering that car, but I guess on the fence about small car vs smaller SUV.

The price is so nice on the Fiesta, Fit, 3..and I am talking brand new. Of course the compact SUVs look pretty nice too and now get great milage as well.

I am looking for decent looks, solid MPG (25 and up would be awesome), and cargo room for 1 or 2 MTBs. I am also 34 years old. I am pretty torn on the small vs compact SUV. The brand new RAV4s are around 25k for the Sport, but I believe they come with an unlimited warranty..I could be wrong, but that's pretty great. I would just rather spend a little less on a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I like the looks of the Fit Sport over the base Fit and the Fiesta. The side profiles of both cars are a bit strange IMO, but looks are always subjective. If you read around, many people with Fits get above the EPA rating of 33/35 mpg highway. I myself usually get 40 mpg with the cruise set at 70 mph. The Fit sport adds cruise control and bigger wheels/tires with the option of in-dash navigation, and some other stuff I think.

I compared both quite heavily before deciding on the Fit. I feel there are a lot of tradeoffs between the two. Both have great reviews and are fun to drive, but when it comes to hauling bikes (or anything) the Fit has the advantage which is why I wanted a hatchback in the first place.

Check them out in person. I found the Fit (sport) looks better in person and the Fiesta looked worse. My opinion tho.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The FIT does sound pretty amazing.I guess it boils down to whether I want a small car or an SUV. And that can be a tough decision. I'm leaning towards SUV still. The RAV4 seems super ideal. I saw a Mitsubishi Outlander that looked pretty cool also.

My buddy who I ride with has an Xterra, and sometimes says he wants a smaller car. It makes me wonder if I'd feel the same after a bit. I also like the Xterra because it is so versatile.

I currently drive a Volvo c70 turbo, which is hell for cargo of any sort. I guess I will sell it first and that should force me to make a decision.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Boy are you in for a disappointment after going from the ride quality of the C70 to any of these "minis." Put a hitch on the C and keep it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
^plus that is a hell of a lot cheaper than spending 20k on a new car.

If you like your current car and it's in good condition/not falling apart why get a new car?

i thought you were in need of a new car. If that's not the case then no reason to buy a new car just for a bike.

just end up wasting tons of money.

get the hitch, get a bike rack.

Use the other $19,300 to pay off your current car if it's not already, use it for a down payment on a house if you are into owning (personally I feel renting is better) due to mobility.

or, my personal choice, invest it in a roth IRA or other investment of some sort.

Save money, retire earlier, spend more time biking and less time working

I plan on driving my prius until it dies or costs more to fix than it's worth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woah man, you jumped to conclusions and went overboard with the life advice. My Volvo was bought used and is close to being a lemon. I have constantly had it in repairs and it is actually falling apart. It was not very expensive to buy. Trust me, if it was just about transporting bikes then I would have a hitch on it.

I have an IRA and Roth. Opened them a long time ago. Also have a 401k. Let's stick to car talk please.

But gravity you make a good point about ride quality. The c70 moves. Fast. The weakness is the turn radius, but the engine is fast. I should probably go for more room with my next car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My vote is Suzuki SX4 all the way. Fits my large 29er and plenty of other stuff, All Wheel Drive, fun to drive, and I get about 31-33 mpg on the highway. My wife wants to get rid of our 2008 impreza hatch and get one for herself. I came from a gorgeous Subaru WRX and love my sx4 equally as much. It's such a great, underrated car. I want the Swift turbo to come to the U.S. so badly. All of the real, non-gm suzukis are great cars and ultra-reliable. If you don't like Suzuki, also check out the Hyundai Tucson or the VW Tiguan. Both great little SUVs. The Tiguan is basically a GTI suv and the Tucson is ultra-affordable and has a great warranty.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Zukfanatic said:
My vote is Suzuki SX4 all the way. Fits my large 29er and plenty of other stuff, All Wheel Drive, fun to drive, and I get about 31-33 mpg on the highway. My wife wants to get rid of our 2008 impreza hatch and get one for herself. I came from a gorgeous Subaru WRX and love my sx4 equally as much. It's such a great, underrated car. I want the Swift turbo to come to the U.S. so badly. All of the real, non-gm suzukis are great cars and ultra-reliable. If you don't like Suzuki, also check out the Hyundai Tucson or the VW Tiguan. Both great little SUVs. The Tiguan is basically a GTI suv and the Tucson is ultra-affordable and has a great warranty.
First let me preface this with the fact that I am a Suzuki fan, I drive a Suzuki motorcycle and my snowmobile is powered by a Suzuki mill.
But are you seriously insinuating that evil GM's whopping 3.02% stake in Suzuki effected their design and reliability negatively? Pretty sure that even at their dark ages '80's worst GM vehicle brands have been constantly rated higher in reliability than Suzuki. And while I do like the SX4 let's not put the current (Nissan frontier re-badge filled) line-up on a false pedestal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been driving a new Rav4 loaner car from toyota while my 4runner gets some work done and I am so impressed with this car. The Rav has so much room and drives great. The interior room is so much more useful than my 05 4runner.

There is only 200 miles on this Rav but I have been getting 30 on the highway here in NY.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts