Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read people have heard of this but has this actually happened to anyone personally?
Does the arch break from landing or from crashing? I ask because I just bought a new 2005 Devinci that has the Pike with old arch. Do you think RockShox will warranty this if it breaks after the one year warranty has expired?

·
Registered
118 Posts
coolatt said:
I've read people have heard of this but has this actually happened to anyone personally?
Does the arch break from landing or from crashing? I ask because I just bought a new 2005 Devinci that has the Pike with old arch. Do you think RockShox will warranty this if it breaks after the one year warranty has expired?
How can you tell which arch you have? I mean, which is the old on,e and which is the new one? A picture would be useful.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bobbysix said:
How can you tell which arch you have? I mean, which is the old on,e and which is the new one? A picture would be useful.
This is the original version, the circled area is waffled. The newer version has this area filled in solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the pictures guys. I just checked my Pike Team and the arch is solid, not waffled. Has there been that many cases of failure? If I were the OP, I would give SRAM a call and see what they say about it. Maybe they can offer you some kind of trade in.

·
rebmem rbtm
417 Posts
Great! thanks! I talked to the seller and he did some DJ, light DH, and AM use with the fork and had no problems.
My fork has the "waffled" arch, but looks as stiff as a rock. Any of your pikes had it? Ever had a big fall with one of those?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Sometimes companies warranty defects after the warranty expires when they recognize it was a manufacturing defect. They normally have pride in their work and recognize their mistakes. Of course, crash damage or wear and tear isn't warrantied, but they may be a discounted crash damage replacement cost.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,828 Posts
I have not heard of this being an issue with Pikes of any year.

However, a 6 year old shock could have a lot of wear on it. I've had a Pike since `05, and about a year ago the bushings started to get some play. I bought some new lowers for ~$150.

Even besides the filled in spot on the back of the arch, the legs have slightly different profiles on the newer lowers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts