Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife, son (now 22), and I have camped at Tsali for the week of the 4th for the last five years. Nice, quiet, and peaceful getaway. Even named my now 11 month old Poshie (Pom/Sheltie mix, looks like a fox) "Tsali".

I'll never go back after this last week. Two other WNC campgrounds with water access have been closed to drinking because of parties and drugs and the local inbreds have found their way to Tsali Campground. Tsali has always been mostly mountain bikers and paddlers. We counted one day this week and they were less than half of the campers there. The US Forest Service does not have enough manpower to police the campgrounds daily due to budget cuts and the partiers know it. USFS Law Enforcement Officers along with Graham County Sheriffs Deputies were there each night Wed.-Sat. with drug and underage drinking citations issued and the lady at the campsite next to ours hauled away in handcuffs after two nights of berating her husband and 12yo son.

It saddens me that this retreat has been ruined.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Man that sucks. Tsali was always such a cool campground. I hope it blows over. I was planning on going out there with my family some time this summer. Maybe we will go to Davidson River or Bent Creek instead. In fact if you want a tsali replacenment I would recomend either of those. They both have great riding and hot showers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Last year for the Tsali Challenge off-road triathlon (sept), I stayed up the road at Turkey Creek campground. Similar cost, clean facilities, good sites. I wouldn't count out Tsali just because of the Tsali campground - there is a couple of other locations nearby as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.