Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
I know people have been working on it but I went "riding" on the the 1st and Tolt was jacked-up!!! Ride for 100-200 feet the lift the bike up and over downed trees. We ran into a few people out clearing the trails but that was pre last snow/ice storm.... I have avoided riding there due to the blow downs....

Late edit: I have obviously created quite the windstorm of a controversy, I am sorry not my intention. I promise to get out and help clear Tolt as soon as I magically find some spare time in my schedule...

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
Map of the Damage

Tolt is still a big mess and more stuff came down after the 2nd wind storm several weeks ago. There is a small group of us trying to clear the trails, but take a look at the map and you'll see that it's going to take a large group to really make a dent in what still needs to be done.

If anyone is interested in clearing the trails start a thread here and take the lead to do so, or check the BBTC Calendar for any up coming Tolt Workparties.

It is going to take everyones help that rides Tolt to get it cleared as there is no one else to do it, but us.:thumbsup:

There is a WP at Tokul West today which is also a mess up top.

Hawkens

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Trailwork = thread killer

Good job Hawkens! As per usual, when trail work is mentioned, the thread dies....:thumbsup:

I'm a little disappointed with Brandon's take on it. We'll have to talk at ABS. Maybe I'll make you pay for your entrance by doing some trail work...:skep:

Riders have to remember that these trails don't clear themselves. And, that fellow riders suck it up and spend a day (or more) off the bike so that those that don't can play again.

It's too bad that that message is a broken record around here....:madman:

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Borneo said:
Riders have to remember that these trails don't clear themselves. And, that fellow riders suck it up and spend a day (or more) off the bike so that those that don't can play again.
You're preachin' to the choir.

Personally I know of at least one area that is clear to ride, because 12 of us went there with three chainsaws and spent the better part of two days clearing tree's. One day we cut over 30 trees out. But I sure as hell won't be telling anybody where, on the internet! If you do trailwork too, then you might already know.

Home depot rents chainsaws for $30-40 a day (nice ones too!)

I think it's pretty sad that people will wait for others to clear local trails, and just drive farther to ride until they get confirmation before riding locally again.

Not busting anybody in particular here, just wishing more people would help….there is a LOT of work to be done, it could go quickly if more people would help.

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Borneo said:
Good job Hawkens! As per usual, when trail work is mentioned, the thread dies....:thumbsup:

I'm a little disappointed with Brandon's take on it. We'll have to talk at ABS. Maybe I'll make you pay for your entrance by doing some trail work...:skep:

It's too bad that that message is a broken record around here....:madman:
After having come off a VERY bad broken leg and not being able to ride my bike for over a year and a half I have a burning desire to spend every spare moment that I get (and trust me they only come between the hours of 8am and 12pm on Sunday morning) riding my bike. I do realize that trails don't maintain, build, or clear themselves and I have done quite a bit of trail work in my time. I realize I could spend the rest of my life doing trail work and never put a dent in what needs to be done, I have lived trails my whole life. My father has worked for BLM and USFS doing nothing but Trails and Recreation planning and when ever he needed an extra set of hands I got enlisted to help. I have built and maintained trails in CA, NC, AK, and some here in WA. As it stands now I am kinda not even 100% to ride (even though I am riding) and walking in on a trail hefting a saw and/or swamping for a sawyer is probably not the best thing for my healing leg right now. I was a SERIOUSLY hurting unit after the brutal hike-a-bike session at Tolt on New Years day if I had known it was as bad as it was I would have never ridden there that day. As well when we were out there we ran across a few trail rats working on the blowdowns. One of the "trail rats" gave us a TON of verbal guilt/grief for being out riding instead of following his example of trail clearing, not a way to recruit potential trail rats....

I am not flaming here I just want my previous statement qualified for why I said what I said. If I was not in school full-time, a full-time stay-at-home dad, and healing from a very badly broken tib-fib I would be the first one out helping to clear trail. I hope to be able to jump in with both feet come summer time and help build/maintain some local trails..... I would gladly do trail maintenance for ABS seeing as how I may not be able to be present for the actual gathering (due to baby #2) I want to help make it even better for those that can go!!

Cheers!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Brandon448 said:
I am not flaming here I just want my previous statement qualified for why I said what I said. If I was not in school full-time, a full-time stay-at-home dad, and healing from a very badly broken tib-fib I would be the first one out helping to clear trail. I hope to be able to jump in with both feet come summer time and help build/maintain some local trails.....
Brandon, your long explanation isn't necessary. Stuff is going to need work for a long, long time due to the storms. Bring a hand saw with ya and cut out a few small trees or do some limbing on the big ones on your rides.....if nothing else. Limbing the bigger trees doesn't seem like much, but it helps the folks who lug chainsaws in and saves them (and me) a lot of time so we can focusing on the big stuff easier/quicker.

I suspect I'll have a hand saw in my pack for the next few months. Hawkens, let me know when you plan to do your big day at Tolt and I'll come equipped if I'm in town.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Controversy re-ignites threads...

You all are just too nice for me.

Anytime I see someone say, "I'm staying away until the trails are clear." or, "Let me know when you are going out and maybe I'll come out and help." I just cringe...

Glad you clarified Brandon. Though you're riding more than I am....

FM, there's still a lot of downed trees out there. It ain't cleared yet.

The good news is that it's all getting chipped away at and hopefully once the dry season really kicks in, it will be all buffed out and cleared again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
who is to say?

Usualy when I post it because it is either controversial or I had a great ride. I know we have been having some friendly debate behind the scenes as well as for everyone to read but I have to agree. When somone says (paraphrasing) 'I am staying away until the trails are cleared' is probably not going to be a very popular statement, in any circle.

It's easy to say "I will wait until the trails are cleared" but this season is way different than my previous 4 seasons here in the local seattle area. I am petrified to think of what has happened to our favorite trails in mountains. Will you wait until those are cleared too?

A lot of trail work has been trail more preventative or additive but this year is different. I agree there is a time work and there is a time to ride as our season is very short and with all the snow this winter maybe shorter yet.

thats all

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Nope, have not had the glory yet. Living vicariously through digital imagery. I'll have a surprise piece done the next time I'm out there that will help you all with your flow on existing trails too. Waiting to share until it's done.

Like I said, the good news is that it's all getting chipped away at and hopoefully, will be back to some of the glory days.

Except Tolt. Reopening everything in the system that became too much of a maze won't really be needed. At least now we'll have materials to block all the ride arounds. Including the straight up on IAB that the county had us put switchbacks in to avoid that somehow keeps mysteriaously re-opening....

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
Feb 11 Trail Clearing Party @ Tolt

Feb 11th, meeting at the Lower Parking lot at 9AM. We will need to ride in as most of the trails near the 5 way have been cleared.

The plan is to break into groups and head down the trails we know are blocked and start clearing, then move into the areas we don't know the conditions of.

http://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=5100

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Hawkens said:
Feb 11th, meeting at the Lower Parking lot at 9AM. We will need to ride in as most of the trails near the 5 way have been cleared.

The plan is to break into groups and head down the trails we know are blocked and start clearing, then move into the areas we don't know the conditions of.

http://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=5100
Count me in for what I can do.... I know I can get a BOB trailer if we need it.... I might even be able to talk some team members into coming with me...

·
Keep the rubberside down
131 Posts
Tolt report

I was there yesterday (2/03) theres still alot of storm damage, ie trees down. I took a folding hand saw w/ me and cut all but one tree, on a loop up on the south end. I had to print off a map so I could give ya all the correct info.. At the top of IAB took the East Rd. to the first left and started the ride there, this trail is tight and kinda unruly at first but you break out of the trees into a clearing after a couple hundred ft. stay on this till you converge w/ the lookout spur of the South Rd. continue slightly right and up till you find the entrance to Bob's Run this has been worked on and even has a new bridge on it. Pretty tasty in there and its clear of trees, keep going straight acrossed the first Rd. onto "Ice Rose" this is where it gets a little sketchy, but if you work it you'll find the way through, there's still alot you can't ride but I just working myself down the most travelled trails trimming as I went ( If everyone just cuts 1 branch we'll gain from it) after crossing another Rd. (spur going south) I followed a non-discript trail back into the south end and eventually got on Kate's Crossing and Pinball, down buckhorn and then north back to Bob's Run. You can download the Map for this off of www.mountainmojo.com - tolt macdonald trails. Good riding - I was drenched by the time I got back to the Parking Lot - better part of 3.5 hrs. of good riding and some trail clearing. Remember all I took was a folding saw - it can be done. I cut 1 tree better than 10" in diameter but I dont recommend that.
Old Grey Hair

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.