Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The lower half always stays pretty greasy in winter, but it hasn't rained that hard in a while, i bet it's not too bad now. The upper trails are probably clear of snow by now as well.

·
Registered
710 Posts
numbuhio said:
Is it a complete mud bog ?
You mean, vasaline grease pit right?

Green mountain is much better during the winter. None of that Capitol clay crap and always drains really fast. On top of that, you're not getting shot at by hunters all the time... :(

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Robot Chicken said:

Green mountain is much better during the winter. None of that Capitol clay crap and always drains really fast. On top of that, you're not getting shot at by hunters all the time... :(
Rock Candy side is greasy, but really that's about the worse of it. Just wear bright colors, the hunters aren't a bother.

But you are correct on Green. It's the prime gravity spot for winter in my book.

·
Banned
776 Posts
Robot Chicken said:

Numbuhio and I are probably one of the few armed mountain bikers who would shoot back. Shoot-Move-Communicate.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
zdfg said:
Numbuhio and I are probably one of the few armed mountain bikers who would shoot back. Shoot-Move-Communicate.
haha you guys are wierd.... :p

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cap Conditions

numbuhio said:
Is it a complete mud bog ?
Cap's never a 'complete' mud bog -- wet, yes -- but it doesn't really compromise velocity much. :-]

I agree with Skookum, the worst gumbo is usually over Rock Candy, along North Rim #1 between Rock Candy and Porter Creek (at least that's the only section that's ever completely stopped my wheels from turning). :-o But it's hard to predict.

PLUS, the low trails around Mima Falls; both approaches close to Camp Wedekind; ALL along Iron Creek (#6); and the northern section of Molly-Porter #3, between Larch Mountain and Porter Creek: lots of down trees, boughs and branch litter right now (some logging obstacles towards the bottom too). I'd probably avoid Middle Waddell also. That much anyway, as of a little over a week ago. Since then, it's rained/snowed, so -- go figure -- your feet WILL get wet and your bike'll be muddy when you're done. But that's Cap!

For (relatively) good drainage and good hoots on wet days -- if you don't already know this -- try Mima-Porter #8 from Camp Wedekind to Porter Creek. A lot of the guys here would probably second this. But consider coming up the trail OAB or using C1000/C-Line to gain your elevation these days. Green Line #6 along Iron Creek is a mess and not worth it. You'll experience some of that when you reach the end of #8 anyway, when you'll have to wade the creek. But that's always better at the end than the beginning, right? ;-)

FYI, I did a 40-plus miler out there a week ago Friday and my feet stayed dry for 10 hours! I couldn't believe it! So you might get lucky too, with this little 'dry' spell we've had this week. If there's snow up high (probably), hopefully it's still crisp and cold enough to keep the slush down.

·
Registered
373 Posts
zdfg said:
But only one of the few. If you should happen to come across a black Tracer upside down in the trail (my partner's), try not to make any flapping sounds. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts