Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
there's a race at Blue Marsh this weekend?

I rode a few miles the other day starting from Justa road, it was still really wet in certain spots but it was ridable.

·
Registered
742 Posts
NRSguy said:
there's a race at Blue Marsh this weekend?
Yes there is. Part of the Mid Atlantic super Series. Otherwise know as the Sandbagger series. Hopefully they will be faithful to their new rules on that and force upgrades as promised.

"Oh I've only won five beginner races this year and only three the year before, I can't possible upgrade to sport."

http://www.makebreak.com/SuperSeries_entry.htm

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would like to know more about what im getting myself into this weekend. Should I be ready for mud. while im at it how tough are the climb?

It will be the first ride on a bike that isnt stationary all season so I might have gotten my self in over my head

-Mike

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it makes you feel better

This is my first race... ever

I'm 12 pounds overweight.

I plan on riding my single speed.

Sounds about right... :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mikey_C said:
I would like to know more about what im getting myself into this weekend. Should I be ready for mud. while im at it how tough are the climb?

It will be the first ride on a bike that isnt stationary all season so I might have gotten my self in over my head

-Mike
I raced at Blue Marsh twice. There are some pretty long climbs if I remember correctly. One steep switchback climb that most geared bikes will be walking up (its usually pretty muddy and slick), and some long fireroad climbs.

Last year it rained on race day and the course was exremly muddy, and not much fun when out of shape. If its not muddy, the course is pretty non-technical and fast. I'd consider it a good roady course.

This will also be my first race this year, and since I've been condemed to the flat jersey shore, I'm not looking forward to the climbing!

Mike

·
Registered
23,745 Posts
mvp119 said:
Last year it rained on race day and the course was exremly muddy, and not much fun when out of shape.
Are you sure you are remembering correctly. Last year was very warm and dry (for the MASS race at least). There was maybe two small puddles on the whole course. Maybe you are thinking of the year before.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tim C. said:
Are you sure you are remembering correctly. Last year was very warm and dry (for the MASS race at least). There was maybe two small puddles on the whole course. Maybe you are thinking of the year before.
You might be right, maybe I have my years mixed up. I did race once when it was dry, and once when it was muddy.

Anyone have an update on the current conditions? The weather says a day or 2 of rain, then clear for Saturday and Sunday.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
mvp119 said:
You might be right, maybe I have my years mixed up. I did race once when it was dry, and once when it was muddy.

Anyone have an update on the current conditions? The weather says a day or 2 of rain, then clear for Saturday and Sunday.
Yeah, the muddy-raining-slopfest at BM was 2 yrs ago. No help here re: current conditions. I thought about going there yesterday, but ended up riding a bit closer to home instead.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Blue Marsh Race

Is the race course the same trails that go around the lake?
Do the trails dry quickly? I heard it was going to rain on Friday.
I'm riding the sport class and this is my first race!
I guess I'll be fighting for last place.
Can someone give a good course description?

Thanks,
Phantomtracer

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Not sure about this year's course...

But...if it's the same as years past, it usually only covers the section of trail on the west side of Church Rd from the BM Ski Area to Church Rd and back (i.e. miles ~14 through 21, or thereabout.) See the map: https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/sb/bmtrails2.gif

Each loop is 7 mi, plus 3 mi (total) out & back from the Ski Area.

Beginners - 1 loop (10 mi)

Sport - 2 loops (17 mi)

Expert - 3 loops (24 mi)

The course has two very big climbs that stand out in my memory, and a bunch of smaller ones that I've probably forgotten. The worst is a big switchbacking slow-grind lungbuster somewhere around mi 17 or 18 that kills me every time. When you think you're at the top.... you're not. You'll see what I mean.

Then again, I always ride from the Stilling Basin parking lot out-and-around the lake. That hill might not be as painful with relatively fresh legs. Other than that, it's pretty non-technical and easy going. Be prepared for some mud & loose conditions. Even if it doesn't rain much after tomorrow, the course gets pretty torn up with that many people riding it at the same time. If you're riding sport, you won't start last, but it's good to be prepared.

Phantomtracer said:
Is the race course the same trails that go around the lake?
Do the trails dry quickly? I heard it was going to rain on Friday.
I'm riding the sport class and this is my first race!
I guess I'll be fighting for last place.
Can someone give a good course description?

Thanks,
Phantomtracer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rode the race course on Tuesday. Small sections of the flat single track that run next to the lake was flooded and not rideable. Hopefully the lake water will go down by Sunday. Other than that the course was dry and in good condition.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i am not trying to convince anyone not to race BUT, there is a fun road ride/race in philly if you don't feel like racing in muddy slop and destroying trails saturday...

quoted from elsewhere:

We're gonna be hosting the 5th Annual R.E.Load April Fools Alleycat this year on Saturday, April 9th. Last year we had about 160 racers; we're looking for more this year. It's our classic scavenger hunt format, there's gonna be way more checkpoints than you could possibly do, and you'll have to pick out your course based on points and proximity. but there's a catch. since it is april fools after all, some of the checkpoints are fake!!

Register at R.E.Load (address below) at 2pm, race at 3pm, afterparty is sponsored by Pabst, of course. $5 entry gets you a spoke card, t-shirt, and some free beer.

Sponsors are R.E.Load, Level Components, Bilenky Bikes, Fabric Horse, Ride Magazine, Depot Tokyo, Gerikmade custom cycling hats, Kaze messenger kyoto, Outlaw Print Co., Print Liberation, Bicycle Therapy, Stuart Leon (philly's best bike attorney), Firehouse Bikes, Blazing Saddles, Cheeky monkey Australia, Sailor Jerry clothing, Market East, and a whole lot more local cats.

The prizes this year are big. somebody's gonna walk away with a frame, and somebody's gonna walk away with a brand new track wheelset. Not to mention our bags and all of the other schwag. SO DON'T MISS IT!!!

hope to see you in philly in a few weeks
ro

R.E.Load Baggage
608 N. 2nd st.
Philly, Pa 19123
www.reloadbags.com
215-922-2018

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.