Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks,

Just reaching out to see if anyone has tried playing around with mismatched wheel sizes since most of the scott bikes accept 650b+ and 29er wheels.

I ride a 2017 Scott genius lt plus and have been playing around with the idea of throwing a 29x2.5 wheel/tire up front and keeping the 27.5x2.8 in the rear. Hoping this will slacken the head angle a smidge and make the front of the bike feel a bit more precise.

What say you? Anyone try this out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B+9er

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Pretty fun. More precision up front, and all the traction in the world out back. It *feels* just a hair slacker and like the BB is a tad higher, which is an improvement in my opinion. I should probably try to actually qualify these with a tape measure, but feeling good is half the battle right? The most noticeable difference for me was moving from a high volume plus tire to a regular tire. After riding the plus tires for so long, a 29x2.3 feels like a pizza slicer on the front of the bike! I think in the future I'd like to try a 650bx2.6 on the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
29/27.5 or mullet bike or franken wheeler

Hi there!

i own a mega 275 nukeproof. At first it was 2.6 front magic mary/rear
nobby nic 27.5 which was good but not like a 2.8 front rear
head angle 64*

i could not put 2.8 because of the non boost fork

then i put a 29 170 boost fork

first tried with a 29 wheel 3.o inch tire maxxis dhf
it was revelation a real panzer, total confidence and security

then i bought a 29 wheel with a 2.6 eddie current tire and a nobby nic 2.6 27.5 rear. head angle 62*

first ride yesterday it was secure and confident but i will post more impressions as i get used to it. it was lighter you could pick your line but still experimenting with pressures
what is most obvious from the 29 wheel tire combo is less fatigue more speed better cornering best confidence less fear and more willing to try things that scared me in the past

Hey there folks,

Just reaching out to see if anyone has tried playing around with mismatched wheel sizes since most of the scott bikes accept 650b+ and 29er wheels.

I ride a 2017 Scott genius lt plus and have been playing around with the idea of throwing a 29x2.5 wheel/tire up front and keeping the 27.5x2.8 in the rear. Hoping this will slacken the head angle a smidge and make the front of the bike feel a bit more precise.

What say you? Anyone try this out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.