Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've met some guys who go to Syracuse University and ride at Skytop, check those trails out. I tend to hit them once a month when the weather is decent, I'm out there for work. Hit me up if you want to meet up for a ride.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm local. Of course right about now we are x-c skiing on all the trails we will be riding - hopefully soon, IF we have a dry spring.

Skytop is among the best around as far as rocky technical and man-made stuff such as wooden bridges, drops and gaps. Plus, it dries out sooner and better than most other places. The only problem is that most of it is poaching on private property. Periodically the cops patrol and ticket, especially after some yahoo on a 4 wheeler crashes and burns and makes the news.

The best "legal" place is Shindagin Hollow near Ithaca. A paradise of single track, man made, and technical. Can get muddy however.

Highland Forest is the second best legal place - and closer to Syracuse . Plenty of trails and many built (legally) by mountain bikers for mountain bikers. Also tends to get wet and muddy, especially spring and fall.

Check this site out for trail suggestions:
http://bikeloft.com/page.cfm?PageID=257

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Clay (just north) I have never been to skytop but have heard a lot about it. I will def be hitting it up once it warms up. I have been to highland, and it was REALLY muddy. It hadn't rained in a week but that didn't matter. Still a great time. I am done to ride whenever its warm. Hit me up.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you live in Clay, stop off at the Bike Loft on South Bay Rd. in North Syracuse. They have all kinds of maps and trail suggestions. Also do a group ride every Sunday.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you live in Clay Great Bear is just a short trip down the road. Its right in the Phoenix/Fulton area. I usually ride there on most Saturdays in the summertime. Mostly singletrack. Not the biggest place or the most difficult but its close, legal, and you can spend a couple hours there and have a good time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also from Syracuse, started riding at skytop a bit last summer and frequently hit up a few smaller spots around the city. This season I'm planning on checking out the new trails at Greenlakes and getting over to Highland, among the other state parks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I'm From Utica. I tend to go to Willmington Lake Placid area and ride the trails there. Local rides consist of Either nice singletrack in New Hartford Town Park or ATV trails. Woodgate just before old forge has some nice trails also.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,082 Posts
What can you guys tell me about Lake Placid?

I'm looking to find some places to ride before the weather gets too bad this year. Don't mind a good drive, either. I would make a weekend of it, and do some camping out there as well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.