Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Firex crankset sucks!

I have had a new Jamis XLT since May, it has the Firex crankset (upgraded to SL) with the Giga-X-Pipe bottom bracket. At 50 miles of trail riding the cranks began to creak, the dealer had to take the bottom bracket out in pieces, Sram sent a new one and said they had been having problems with them. At 166 miles (I'm 60 years old, do no jumps, tire by eight miles, and like mostly smooth trails), the cranks are screaming worse than ever, the dealer is going to have to replace the bottom bracket again. I am thinking of replacing the whole crankset with a RaceFace Atlas but after looking at reviews of all of the "popular" cranksets, it looks like they all have problems. My best set to date is square drive, Shimano Deore, with steel rings, never a problem. My old Schwinn Frontier with very low end crankset and square taper never gave me a problem in six years. What was wrong with internal bearings and square drive anyhow? I didn't know until I got to the new style bikes that cranksets could be so unreliable, and so expensive!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.