Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if 6 feet or taller on a medium frame, what is your ride setup like?

stem length and rise would help me greatly. I want to use the integrated stem on the Super T, but think it's going to be too cramped for me.

I'm also looking into a Thompson Layback seatpost.

riding style consists of drops, chutes, technical singletrack.

Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
freeriderB said:

stem length and rise would help me greatly. I want to use the integrated stem on the Super T, but think it's going to be too cramped for me.

Thanks.
I have a Lg Bullit frame with a 70mm stem. I am 5'11" and it feels just right but one thing is still off. Standover clearance is tight. I have a 32" inseam and when there is no weight on the bike, no sag it sits up high enough to be an issue.

What color is your front triangle? Mine is white. Would you would be interested in trading front triangles?

·
Absurd
919 Posts
I'm 6'0" on a med. I've been using a 55 mm stem, just put on a Marz. integrated stem on Saturday, in the 55 setting. I think if I could, next time I'd get a large and probably still use a 55mm stem. Like Axis said, the stand over height is a little high and when I bought the bike that is what I used to judge sizing, but I think that was a mistake, and it's a little cramped. Check out SC's website, at 6 feet I think we are the first height that they put in the large catagory. I'd go for a large. With a dc fork, a med is not going to turn any quicker than a large would, and I dont think the bent seatpost would make you any happier.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Large vs medium bullit

had a large and sold it. It felt great on the trails, but in the air I felt like the bike was in control of me (not the other way around). My medium Gemini with a 80mm stem feels great in the air. I have total control over the bike.

I know weight has a lot to do with it. But I went with this medium bullit frame thinking I could rig it like my Gemini.

Would the 80mm stem put me too far over the bar?

I believe the top tube length on the medium bullit is only a few mm shorter than the medium Gemini.

MVRIDER said:
I'm 6'0" on a med. I've been using a 55 mm stem, just put on a Marz. integrated stem on Saturday, in the 55 setting. I think if I could, next time I'd get a large and probably still use a 55mm stem. Like Axis said, the stand over height is a little high and when I bought the bike that is what I used to judge sizing, but I think that was a mistake, and it's a little cramped. Check out SC's website, at 6 feet I think we are the first height that they put in the large catagory. I'd go for a large. With a dc fork, a med is not going to turn any quicker than a large would, and I dont think the bent seatpost would make you any happier.

·
Absurd
919 Posts
freeriderB said:
had a large and sold it. It felt great on the trails, but in the air I felt like the bike was in control of me (not the other way around). My medium Gemini with a 80mm stem feels great in the air. I have total control over the bike.

I know weight has a lot to do with it. But I went with this medium bullit frame thinking I could rig it like my Gemini.

Would the 80mm stem put me too far over the bar?

I believe the top tube length on the medium bullit is only a few mm shorter than the medium Gemini.
I think an 80 would be too far. I started out with an Easton 70mm and went down to 55, I like the stearing alot better now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
70mm ought to be right on the money

dude a medium sounds just right, whats the size of the frame in inches like a 17' i bet. i'm about 6'3 and i ride a 19' giant AC1 doin about the same type of stuff and the frame is just a hair to big but not to bad. you will prob want to get a stem slightly longer than the intergrated but no too much, 70mm ought to be right on the money. my bro is about 6'0 now and he rides a 15' RM6 with a 70mm stem no problem

·
Clever Slogan
543 Posts
Here's what I done...

freeriderB said:

Thanks.
I had a med. bullit that was good with a 70x10 stem, in fact dare I say "perfect?" I'm just a hair over 6ft. and do the same kind of riding you're speaking of. However, an alternative is to buy the large, run a 24in. rear, bolt the shuttle in the steep ha setting and you'll have a perfect bike w/ plenty of standover. I rode a friends bullit that was set up like that and instantly loved it more than my own. He was running a short stem as well, so depending on your reach, you can experiment.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Axis said:
.. Standover clearance is tight. I have a 32" inseam and when there is no weight on the bike, no sag it sits up high enough to be an issue.
This seems silly to me...when is there no weight on the bike?
Are you worried about standover when you're just standing there, over the bike?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
med bullit

skinnyhippy said:
I had a med. bullit that was good with a 70x10 stem, in fact dare I say "perfect?" I'm just a hair over 6ft. and do the same kind of riding you're speaking of. However, an alternative is to buy the large, run a 24in. rear, bolt the shuttle in the steep ha setting and you'll have a perfect bike w/ plenty of standover. I rode a friends bullit that was set up like that and instantly loved it more than my own. He was running a short stem as well, so depending on your reach, you can experiment.
This sounds like my old Large! I ran a 24" and it was cool.

With the medium....
I'm mostly concerned with TT length (not standover height). As I said earlier, my Gemini with an 80mm stem feels great, but riding the intergrated Marz stem on a test ride yesterday felt WAY too cramped.

I figure 10 -15mm more with a 70mm stem, and another 1" with a Thompson layback should feel pretty similar to my Gemini....right?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
my freind is 6'2 on a medium bullit with marzo z1 freeride and powertools 45 mm stem. he likes how it feels, but i think a large would fit the bill better for him.

·
Clever Slogan
543 Posts
yeah but...

freeriderB said:
This sounds like my old Large! I ran a 24" and it was cool.

With the medium....
I'm mostly concerned with TT length (not standover height). As I said earlier, my Gemini with an 80mm stem feels great, but riding the intergrated Marz stem on a test ride yesterday felt WAY too cramped.

I figure 10 -15mm more with a 70mm stem, and another 1" with a Thompson layback should feel pretty similar to my Gemini....right?
the only issue with the layback post would be how low could you drop the post, would it be enough to easily allow you to manuever when you're going down the steep steeps?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Layback

I think I would be ok with the Thompson. It's not as drastic as say the Titec hellbent.
I rarely drop my seat so low that I can't pedal comfortably (never all the way down).

I can always go with a 1" offset post where the clamp is set back and the post is straight.

There are many to choose from.

I was aiming towards the Thompson because i thought it may have been 1.5" layback. I'll have to look the specs up.

skinnyhippy said:
the only issue with the layback post would be how low could you drop the post, would it be enough to easily allow you to manuever when you're going down the steep steeps?

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
I am 6'1 and have spent some serious trail/jump time on a medium bullit, which is so far the tightest cornering and handling bike I have used. My next plan is to build one up with a floating brake and an 8" Avy as a well handling DH rig. Mainly the medium rides slightly lower than the large so you can rail corners way way easier and get way more control over the bike in the air. I was using an Azonic block stem with an inverted DC fork on it. Not sure of the stem length, but it wasn't long. If you're more into DH/FR/Jumping, get a shorter stem, if into more aggressive XC, get a longer one, but when getting into longer travel bikes always ride a size smaller if you're a tall guy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.