Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NateHawk said:
Don't like that site. Make a group on MapMyRide and I might join it, though.
Hey, I'm reviewing that site/service. What exactly don't you like about it? Everyone who's used it has been floored so far.

fc

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
I'm not really floored by it. From what the tour looks like, it looks like a lot of other sites out there.

A big reason I don't like it is that I can't browse public data unless I sign up for an account. I don't want to sign up for an account unless I plan on using the service. See my problem?

I can't even tell if they let you embed content on other sites. That's a big deal for me. I like to embed my rides on my own website, and I like to post the occasional ride here. If I can't embed, I don't really care what else the site offers, I won't use it.

MapMyRide lets me embed all I want, and even when I'm not logged in, the front page localizes me and shows me recently logged activities nearby. I don't really use the workout features, but it's got quite a lot of them.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NateHawk said:
I'm not really floored by it. From what the tour looks like, it looks like a lot of other sites out there.
That's really interesting. I just tried and it is indeed very hard to browse around when not logged in. Functionality is very limited when not logged in.

Also, I don't think embedding is possible at moment.

Folks just pass around links of their rides and profiles and that's how I've discovered it.

Their secret sauce is in something called 'segments'. A segment is a climb, a descent or a ride and they are all automatically detetected in your ride. Your PR history is recorded and your time can be compared to everybody elses on the system. All the data is there on a hillclimb and you never had to do anything during the ride.

Segments are defined by the community and all the popular local climbs and loops are already defined here in Northern Ca.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Here's some examples:
ride: http://www.strava.com/rides-by-coun...a/los-gatos/kennedy-3-walls-298454?units=feet

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
MMR has a hillclimb algorithm, also, based loosely on the type used in the TdF, where climbs are given numbered categories. They changed the rating system somewhat for their own purposes.

Like I said, if you made a similar sort of group for MMR, I'd join it.

For what it's worth, Strava seems to get little attention outside CA. The only folks I hear of using it are from there. For my area, MMR gets about as much attention as Garmin Connect.

And as far as I'm concerned...why would I share a link in a forum when I can embed?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NateHawk said:
MMR has a hillclimb algorithm, also, based loosely on the type used in the TdF, where climbs are given numbered categories. They changed the rating system somewhat for their own purposes.

Like I said, if you made a similar sort of group for MMR, I'd join it.

For what it's worth, Strava seems to get little attention outside CA. The only folks I hear of using it are from there. For my area, MMR gets about as much attention as Garmin Connect.

And as far as I'm concerned...why would I share a link in a forum when I can embed?
Right on. I encourage you to really try Strava and form an opinion. It is in it's infancy and will really take off I think.

I will try the other services too. Is MMR the best out there? Garmin Connect sounds like a non-factor from what I'm hearing.

fc

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
francois said:
Right on. I encourage you to really try Strava and form an opinion. It is in it's infancy and will really take off I think.

I will try the other services too. Is MMR the best out there? Garmin Connect sounds like a non-factor from what I'm hearing.

fc
I dunno that there's really a "The Best" per se. I looked at a couple dozen options for an article on my website, but my focus was primarily on sharing/embedding, because that's the functionality I want most. I really have no reason to sign up and try a service if it doesn't give me embed capabilities. But it really depends on exactly what you want, which service you might consider "The Best". Strava might be someone's best. It's just not mine.

Garmin Connect is still a factor, but it's fallen behind the curve. Motionbased set the curve and then GC reeled it in when it acquired them. GC still has the biggest database by my best estimate, but I doubt it will for much longer with more people using GPS and way more sites out there.

Embedding maps is like with photos many moons ago. First, people linked to photobucket accounts, but that was a PITA. Now, pretty much all the photo sharing sites offer embed code to enable exciting content to be shared without violating copyrights and such.

More recently with videos. You formerly had to link to youtube. Now you get embed code where you can actually insert the video somewhere.

I view GPS data the same way. It creates a dynamic richness in my posts here and on my website to directly display my data. That's why I am so vehement about wanting embed capability.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
francois said:
We just formed the mtbr club on strava.com and we're rocketing up the KOM standings. They tally up the climbing total of all our members.

Join mtbr.com club
http://app.strava.com/clubs/mtbr-com

Join the KOM challenge with our club
http://app.strava.com/komchallenge

fc
Free accounts limited to only 5 rides / month? Seems a little low to me. In the past I have paid for MotionBased.com, but I'd have to see something really compelling about this site to make me pay given all the free services that are out there. Even MapMyRide gives you unlimited uploads if you want to see ads, which I think is a pretty reasonable thing.

Regardless, I'll likely try it out and just selectively upload some of my bigger rides per month to see if there is anything moving about it compared to the numerous other offerings.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Stmpjmpr said:
I've been on Strava for about a year, and it is indeed a young but promising site. The segments feature is particularly good. I've put in a feature request for embedding, which received several +1s from other members, and they're supposedly working on it.

http://support.strava.com/discussions/suggestions/99-embed-for-blog-sharing

I just bumped this request up again.
If/when they actually offer embedding, I might actually give 'em a look. Still...limiting free accounts to 5 uploads per month stinks. I already pay for photo uploads (flickr), and depending how things go with video, I may pay for a vimeo subscription here soon, too. I'd hate to need to do a GPS file upload subscription, too.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
What am I missing?

NateHawk said:
Make a group on MapMyRide and I might join it, though.
So I joined MapMYRide and uploaded a ride. It's full of ads and crap all over the place, only uses part of the screen, and I see only a fraction of my stats. Below is just part of the very clean main screen I get on Garmin Connect. And you can click several places to open up all kinds of other stats and graphs. And all with absolutely with no ads or other crap. And it's totally free. And note I get Google Maps not Bing. And you do not have to be a member to see and download rides from others. So what am I missing :confused: The 3D fly over in the beta version of MMR is pretty cool.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Wherewolf said:
So I joined MapMYRide and uploaded a ride. It's full of ads and crap all over the place, only uses part of the screen, and I see only a fraction of my stats. Below is just part of the very clean main screen I get on Garmin Connect. And you can click several places to open up all kinds of other stats and graphs. And all with absolutely with no ads or other crap. And it's totally free. And note I get Google Maps not Bing. And you do not have to be a member to see and download rides from others. So what am I missing :confused: The 3D fly over in the beta version of MMR is pretty cool.
Adblock takes care of the ads. I'm aware of and have installed the Google Maps plugin for GC. But it does not work on embedded content last I saw.

I like that I can resize MMR's embed code to my liking. No matter how I try to edit the code GC gives me, it will not provide me with a larger/wider window.

No upload site is perfect. But MMR works for me. One thing I really like about MMR is that the site lets me edit the tracks before I save them if there's a goofy error in there somewhere.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Wherewolf said:
So the files for all my longer rides, including all of my Tahoe rides, are too big to upload to MMR! Pretty lame and makes it pretty worthless. Most of the folks I know in the NorCal forum do bigger rides than me.
Seriously? Damn...do you see any posted limits anywhere?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I've tried uploading several longer rides in both tcx and gpx format just to record a 3D fly though video. The rest of the site is pretty lame compared to GC. For every file I tried to upload I get:

413 Request Entity Too Large
I couldn't find any posted limits on file size, but I did see a handful of folks mentioning the same problem on their feedback forum. A site staffer suggested to one of those guys to clear his cache and cookies, but I don't see any response regarding whether it worked.

www.runningfreeonline.com will do 3d flyby vids, too, and gives a lot more training stats - I just don't like their map embeds. That site uses static maps for embedding, not the dynamic maps most others use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.