Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that enduro fork seals sell foam rings intended for both 35 and 36mm stanchion forks. As most of us know, OE foam rings for fox 36 forks aren’t readily available independent from a full rebuild kit ($$$) but RS foam rings are readily available in bulk. Wondering if anybody uses RS 35mm foam rings in their fox 36 without issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
The fox seal kit is $24 and it'll last you quite a long time. It includes the foam rings.

You could probably cobble together a foam ring that's too small, but doing it right is really cheap. That's a $1000+ fork, $24 seems acceptable for seals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes I have done this many times. The 35mm rings fit just fine. I use the fox rings if I’m replacing the dust wipers too but otherwise I just slap new rs rings in every time I have the fork apart

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fox seal kit is $24 and it'll last you quite a long time. It includes the foam rings.

You could probably cobble together a foam ring that's too small, but doing it right is really cheap. That's a $1000+ fork, $24 seems acceptable for seals.
Fair point re: price.

I'd purchased an complete PUSH kit and ended up dipping into it for the foam rings when I accidentally tore one when swapping an air shaft. I'm looking to make that kit whole.

Seems silly that you can buy crush washers separately but foam rings are packaged with parts you may not need. It's isn't about the money as much as it's about being wasteful with the other bits and pieces

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Good to know that the RS rings will work.

Not that I'd generally recommend it, but I have re-used foam rings in a pinch (like after tearing a new one) by washing it in isopropanol, squeezing to get the old oil and dirt out, squeezing dry in a paper towel, and letting it dry before soaking and installing it. At the next service the re-used ring looked the same as what was the new ring.

·
Dirty minded
568 Posts
Seems silly that you can buy crush washers separately but foam rings are packaged with parts you may not need. It's isn't about the money as much as it's about being wasteful with the other bits and pieces

I know this is an older thread...
good to hear a 35mm RS foam ring will work fine for Fox 36.
I'm having difficulty a source for bulk 13mm crush washers.
The smaller 8mm are easily sourced.
Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an older thread...
good to hear a 35mm RS foam ring will work fine for Fox 36.
I'm having difficulty a source for bulk 13mm crush washers.
The smaller 8mm are easily sourced.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Have you tried these foam rings yet on your 36? Very interested. Seems like they are a "foam/felt" material. Wondering if better than the ones Fox is making. Certainly cheaper than replacing seals every time doing lower leg maintenance. Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had ordered a bag of RS foam rings from Amazon a while back.
Today I decided it was time to burnish the bushings.
I used the RS rings.
Initially I stretched them just as I usually do with Fox rings. They stretched out too much and had to toss those. The next set I just soaked and they went in perfectly flat without any stretching.

It’s nice to have a bag of them for quick lowers service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.