Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the Gravel Race disc @ 1460g and maybe (slightly heavier) other options. HUNT Gravel Race Disc Wheelset

Currently have the stock Axis Elite Disc (21mm ID) from Specialized. Online searching shows they weigh 1750g up to 2000g. I have not weighed mine so not sure what the real deal is. Not a ton of info out there on these.

Anyway intended purpose is a good mix of maybe 50/50 or 60/40 road/gravel-ish. No bikepacking, no racing, no singletrack riding, no chunky stuff...just a mix of tarmac and dirt. These are only 24/24 spoke, not sure if this concerns me or not. I'm 190lbs. Will be running 43c tires and smaller on this set.

They have other options at 20mm (don't like the idea of going smaller) and 25mm ID (seems excessive for my tire size and adds weight).

Goal is to loose weight but be gravel capable. If my current set is really close to 2000g I could save over a pound on wheels alone. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Hunt gravel wheels.
thanks

Also I think I've decided firmly on aluminum vs. CF.... As long as it's lightweight.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Anyway intended purpose is a good mix of maybe 50/50 or 60/40 road/gravel-ish. No bikepacking, no racing, no singletrack riding, no chunky stuff...just a mix of tarmac and dirt. These are only 24/24 spoke, not sure if this concerns me or not. I'm 190lbs. Will be running 43c tires and smaller on this set.

They have other options at 20mm (don't like the idea of going smaller) and 25mm ID (seems excessive for my tire size and adds weight).
No experience directly with Hunt, although I did consider them hard during the "pandemic" insanity, but they couldn't deliver. I can pass this on though. I am running 700 x 38c GK+ slicks as my "road" tires. I had them on 35mm deep, 22.6mm iW rims and decided I wanted to go a bit deeper and the only wheels I could find in my weight/price range were 25iw. It's incredible how different those tires feel during cornering with just a little more support. I don't know if it's specific to these tires or a principle that holds true, but something to consider. (Devils advocate: my 650 x 47b Ramblers are on 22.5mm iW rims and probably corner harder than the 700c GK+'s ?‍♂?‍♂)

BTW, that's a great weight savings and yes, you will feel it.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I looked at their products but went with Bontrager Aeolus V because of the sum-total of the product specs, price, warranty, and repeat experiences with Trek doing better than so many on post-sale issues. It was also nice learning they've brought assembly back to the US.

Now with hundreds of miles of riding I can say absolutely no regrets. They've been super for unpaved riding and the performance I get with 50+ mi or all day rides. They helped make it easy to sell my road bike with no regrets.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got 2 sets of Hunt gravel wheels. The carbon 30mm deep set have 2000 miles on them, have been flawless. Bought them when the price was $200 less than now. The 4 season gravel alum set have 900 miles and again, are true with no issues yet. They were $349 when I bought em. I weigh 240 and ride 90% gravel.

If you are importing into the US, the duty fees over $900 will hurt, so keep that in mind. Nowadays I think ZIPP and Bontrager make more sense if you go carbon.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

If you are importing into the US, the duty fees over $900 will hurt, so keep that in mind. Nowadays I think ZIPP and Bontrager make more sense if you go carbon.
I didn't realize that. They have set up shop in Colorado so I assumed there would be no duty fees. I'll check their website or shoot them an email to confirm. Thanks

I'm still shopping. Maybe will even go carbon fiber at this point. It's between the Hunt and the Roval Terra c ($1k)ATM. Those are $1,610 g with tape and stems, and a lifetime warranty. Pretty sure the Rovals are 24 or 25 iw. Those are actually cheaper than the similar carbon hunt wheels.

I'll check out Zipp and Bontrager.

EDIT: found this on their website looks like no duty fees to the US.

"We are an international business now and operating from the UK and also Colorado in the USA. We will use our discretion in determining where your product is shipped from. Please note that we will be covering any duty/import fees incurred when shipping from the UK."

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if anyone cares after a bit more research I think I'm going to get the Roval Terra c.

They are marginally heavier, wider, have DT Swiss hubs vs. Bitex, cheaper and have a lifetime warranty.

Plus matchy-matchy for my Diverge, not that I care. Seems like a better purchase.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I purchased a set of alloy XC "wide" wheels for my Cutththroat, and they are terrific. Light (1500g with boost hubs) and stiff, with great hub engagement. Compared to my NOBL wheels that were $1500 and included crappy customer service, the $600 Hunt's are a steal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love my Hunt carbon wheels. I own 3 wheelsets.

Road bike - 35 Carbon Aero 1357g
Hakka MX - 35 Carbon Aero, 650b Adventure Carbon 1425g

I took the 35 Carbon Aeros with Conti Terra Speed 40mm tires to Spain for a month. They saw a lot of dirt and lumpy gravel. Despite not being gravel wheels, they are holding up fine. Of course, these wheels are for riders up to 270lbs, and I only weigh 140.

I had a set of Enve SES 3.4 ARs, but decided that they were either too wide internally, or too aero, for my riding style.

I find the Hunts much easier to set up tubeless, and they hold air better. Freehubs are relatively quiet too.

Hunt customer services is also top notch. I suspected that I damaged a seal on a rear hub. They sent me a new shell free.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have had great customer service from Hunt as well. I have bought 3 wheel sets from them. When I wanted to swap the QR hubs on my first set to thru axle they threw in the adapters for no charge on my next order. I wanted to swap from HG to MS hub on my mtn bike set and it took one phone call.
I don’t know if they are the best price deal anymore but they take care of the customer. I have bought a set of BTLOS and ICAN carbons and I can’t say the experience has been nearly as good with those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.