Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Very Good Luck with Nashbar AL frames

(knock on wood) and a buddy of mine has been pounding on a vintage steel Nashbar rigid MTB in NYC for a decade. Don't know who makes/made the old steel mtb frame, but my aluminum hardtail l believe was made by Kinesis (who also make bikes for Santa Cruz, Kona, etc.). Here's my AL frame, it's my all time favorite ride.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott_in_Jersey said:
(knock on wood) and a buddy of mine has been pounding on a vintage steel Nashbar rigid MTB in NYC for a decade. Don't know who makes/made the old steel mtb frame, but my aluminum hardtail l believe was made by Kinesis (who also make bikes for Santa Cruz, Kona, etc.). Here's my AL frame, it's my all time favorite ride.

I totally remember that aluminum frame! When did you pick that up? One of my first mountain bike frames was an old nashbar steel, but like you said, not sure who made it then and more importantly, who makes it now. Can't beat it for $70 I guess.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
got one for my single speed

I wanted to try single speed riding so I got one from a friend and I LOVE it. using a 32/17 tooth combo with no tensioner it rocks! It did need to have the headtube reamed and squared up as the headset/stem interface was always loosening up. After that was done..... nothing but sweetness. Steel is for real! Oh... one other thing. The top tubes are Short! So.... if you like a stretched out racing feeling, you'll need a long stem. I'm currently using a 130mm Thomson on their 18" size and I'm 5' 10" tall.

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
I have one.

Just painted it brown and black. A picture is on the "Advice needed for paint stripping frame" by kiwimtbr thread on this board. The frame is okay and a tad heavy but is just right for commuting, and beating up on fireroads with. I got the frame with a free Suntour seatpost. My size was a 21" and the standover is right at my limit for a 33 inch inseam. Toptube length is just right for me with the moustache handlebars. I like a 56cm TT.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Drewdane said:
IIRC, it's a 16" frame; I've got a 31/32" inseam. It's a tad smallish, but very maneuverable.
Thanks for the reply! I have a 34" inseam and my last steel frame was a 17.5" Fisher Cronus (see my profile pic). It was also smallish and had the tight Fisher geometry that made it great for tight singletrack and climbed like an animal! I replaced that frame with an 18" Supergo Access aluminum frame that was waaaay too small for me. Strange how frame sizes can vary so much by company. Maybe I'll try the 19" Nashbar frame.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.