Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm signed up for a Trail Pistol so far (still got some weeks to go); but now they put up the Trail Dogg on the secret menu and I'm wondering how it rides...

Anybody have any experience with it or other mid-travel mullets?

How would the ride compare to a regular 29" Trail Pistol(a)?

EDIT: Saw there's a thread about it below mentioning Shred mullet, dude didn't like it. I can't really delete this post, but feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mixed Wheel Size Bikes - Cy Turner from Cotic - Downtime Podcast <-- just listened to this one. There's a lot of content floating the internet and podcasts as of late, but this was the best one I've read. I was on a 2018 Shred Dogg (set up in every configuration imaginable: 27.5 / 27.5 + / Full 29er conversion (run in gravity mode with 150mm 29er fork) / 27.5 + front / 27.5 rear)

I set it up as a mullet only to tinker and had no trail time on it. However, with the 27.5 + up front I MUCH preferred having a bigger wheel/tire up front. I'm not on a Revved Pistola and am sold on the 29er deal.

I'm also a short rider (5'3") and only get tire butt buzz on the steepest of steep. For general trail riding, I see no advantage to a mullet if you can go full 29er. The big rear wheel helps soooo much in climbing and descending.

IF your objective is a park bike and you need the extra butt clearance, try the mullet out. Otherwise it seems like there's not a tremendous advantage. Plus, the new Pistola is SUPER freakin' nimble (and I imagine the new SD to be the same since GEO is similar).

You can check out my article/review on the Pistola here too if you want: https://ridegg.com/thedispatch/adams_fifty_mile_revved_review

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
I'm signed up for a Trail Pistol so far (still got some weeks to go); but now they put up the Trail Dogg on the secret menu and I'm wondering how it rides...

Anybody have any experience with it or other mid-travel mullets?

How would the ride compare to a regular 29" Trail Pistol(a)?

EDIT: Saw there's a thread about it below mentioning Shred mullet, dude didn't like it. I can't really delete this post, but feel free to chime in!
"dude didn't like it" :)

Just buy the TP, then get an extra wheel and make up your own mind.

Mullets have been around forever, it's not that popular which probably speaks to it's utility.

If you like it, then you are in the 1% who ride a mixed wheel bike.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
"dude didn't like it" :)

Just buy the TP, then get an extra wheel and make up your own mind.

Mullets have been around forever, it's not that popular which probably speaks to it's utility.

If you like it, then you are in the 1% who ride a mixed wheel bike.
This...
Ben and I had this discussion when he was trying out the mullet. Really it comes down to one thing... which pro is riding it?
After that, if they happen to win a race, well then suddenly it is a "THING" and the new hottness. After that, it is purely marketing by companies to sell extra bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you could argue they weren't popular with pro's because it wasn't legal by UCI rules, but I get what you guys are saying; I also can't see what the benefits for overall trail riding would be over just 29'er front and rear.

And yeah, the bike industry is gonna do it's thing to get more bikes out the door; Intense just released a mullet trail bike too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out the podcast, seems like there's no real benefit unless you're riding park or super enduro stuff. I'm not doing that 95% of the time.

The butt buzz has also never really been an issue for me; I've only really buzzed like 2-3 times total and it's never lead me to crash or anything.

I'd still be interested to try one out just for the sake of experimentation. Maybe eventually I'll get a rear wheel like Ben said and try it out. But I'm sure I'm going to be to busy riding the TP to care enough to actually do that haha.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I checked out the podcast, seems like there's no real benefit unless you're riding park or super enduro stuff. I'm not doing that 95% of the time.

The butt buzz has also never really been an issue for me; I've only really buzzed like 2-3 times total and it's never lead me to crash or anything.

I'd still be interested to try one out just for the sake of experimentation. Maybe eventually I'll get a rear wheel like Ben said and try it out. But I'm sure I'm going to be to busy riding the TP to care enough to actually do that haha.
Bentopi - this was the same conclusion I came to. And btw I was a die-hard 27.5 fan because I ride aggressive, I'm short, and I thought it was the only option for a playful bike. After converting my old Shred Dogg to 29er, I never put the 27.5 or 27.5 wheels back on.

I'm SOLD on the big wheels for everything. Some of the trails I ride are wicked steep and I have had some butt buzz here and there, but I have learned how to handle the bike to minimize this, and the ONLY time it happens on the wicked steep chutes etc (and those are ~1% of total trail time).

YES you can always try a 27.5 wheel later, plus if you order a Pistol(a) with the 130mm rear end, it's the same shock stroke as the Shred Dogg so all you'd need is the seatstay tuning kit to convert it to the mullet set up

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trail Dogg = more fun, more capable and more balanced than Shred Dogg.

I admit, I went reluctantly into mullet mode and even ragged on it in the 90s. But since the long term plan with the SD was always to move to a trail pistol configuration I figured why not. I split my time between a mid travel 27 and a long travel 29 and really enjoy the characteristics of both. GG has provided the best platform I can imagine given how much I enjoy swapping parts and tweaking geo.

My xl SD was set up w 160 up front (short stack and short reach) and handled steeps and jumps great. The majority of my local riding mixes in steep, rutted, catch-bermy runs even if the goal is xc miles. The only issue was it felt more than a little divey (wanting to lay down.. not sink into travel) moving through tight turns going both up and down. Higher speeds reduced the dive but required more body English to drift into stable cornering position. Shorter travel would have been somewhat of a fix (I tried 150 but wanted more plushness) but would have also slowed the pace I want to really own the features I typically ride.Tbh, I was even questioning the wheelbase and hta that originally swayed me to get a GG because I thought they were the culprit on a mid travel rig.

The TD set up with 140 up front (short stack) eliminated all dive (both setups are comparable fox 36s) and gobbles up terrain allowing for more stability in slow tight turns as well as 29” confidence at speed.The stability even feels improved (maybe has something to do with the balance of 140 front and back instead of 160 up front?). I think the traction up front even gives me the frame of mind while riding to appreciate more how quickly the rear wheel snaps out of berms and off lips.This was lost with a 27 up front because more mental and physical effort went into preparing for deep chatter and potential line altering noise while approaching these features.

I have about 5 rides and 100mi in mullet mode so far on everything from steep loam to ledgy rock to wet, rooty mud fest (NW winter offerings). I have read repeatedly that folks who swap this rig to full 29 don’t go back to 27 and I can’t wait to see how a GG set up as a mid travel 29 changes it’s attitude.

For now, I couldn’t be more happy with the mullet configuration. I’m not sure I can come up w a good reason to reintroduce the 27 wheel up front.

·
always licking the glass
3,614 Posts
I haven't run the Shred Dogg as a mullet, but I'm not a fan of the mullets in the first place.

I tried the Pistola, didn't dig it--BUT the geo on it felt better than the Revved Shred Dogg. I didn't try the Shred Dogg as a mullet, but I didn't feel like I would gain anything from a mullet.

Most people I know who have mulletted their bikes have converted fully either to 29ers or 27.5, but none I've known stay mulletted.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
I haven't run the Shred Dogg as a mullet, but I'm not a fan of the mullets in the first place.

I tried the Pistola, didn't dig it--BUT the geo on it felt better than the Revved Shred Dogg. I didn't try the Shred Dogg as a mullet, but I didn't feel like I would gain anything from a mullet.

Most people I know who have mulletted their bikes have converted fully either to 29ers or 27.5, but none I've known stay mulletted.
yup, mullets are neither good nor bad, ie they do nothing better than a same wheeled bike. I've found that I prefer 29" on short term travel bikes and 27.5 on long travel and trialsy bikes.

the thing that comes most to mind when riding mullet is the front end wag is more noticeable and rear catches more on square edged rocks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I enjoy the Megasmash a lot. 160mm 29er up front with 0mm cup. No issues climbing, on the down its fun. A little more monster truck vs 27.5, a little more grip in most conditions especially braking and the bike still feel very agile / easy to maneuver.

·
always licking the glass
3,614 Posts
I enjoy the Megasmash a lot. 160mm 29er up front with 0mm cup. No issues climbing, on the down its fun. A little more monster truck vs 27.5, a little more grip in most conditions especially braking and the bike still feel very agile / easy to maneuver.
Theres a bunch of folks i know running a megasmash but only the one person i saw post here on a trail dogg.

I can't see riding a trail dogg, because with the short chainstays that seems odd to me, but i get the whole megasmash idea and why people like them.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
I rode my Mega Trail as a 29er, 27.5 and mullet style. I liked the big wheeled ride in 29", but I mostly ride 27.5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts