Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears to be a new item (at least at bikeman). Same as the 26 incher except in 465 A-C length. Has anybody tried this yet? I won't have mine in service for another 2 weeks (waiting on parts). I gathered that folks generally liked the 26 version and the price seemed great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's what came on my 07 Unit 2-9. They only thing I have to compare it to is a Surly Fork I rode on a demo. Very similar feel. If anything, the Surly Fork may not have been as stiff. It felt more forgiving, but this could be because of the rest of the part spec on the demo bike, I'm not sure. It's a rigid fork . . . I don't know all of the nuances (if any).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kona unit 29er

drbiker,

How do you like your unit 29er, I am testing out a 06 unit 29er with the Reba this weekend and so far I like it. It feels better then the Monocog I tried, although that is probably the shock. I also have a Racer X 29er and I want to try single speed.

Jim

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
I asked this question a few days ago, but I got no responses. I'm also wondering what the rake of the P2 is. I had a 26" P2 that seemed okay, and yes the price is good.
I actually have the P2 29 sitting here uncut. If you can tell me how to measure the rake accurately, I can give it a go. I'd like to know what it is myself. I'm thinking I can hold the steerer in the bike stand and get it plumb with a level but I don't know how to accurately extend a plumb line to measure the offset with calipers. I'll have to give this some thought ... :idea:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, got a rake measurement

I measured my P2 29 fork and came up with a rake of 47mm +/- 1mm. It was actually quite easy - I just leaned the fork up against a wall and made sure the steerer was parallel to the wall and the dropouts were equally distant from the molding.

From wall to steerer center line = 18mm
From wall to molding = 15mm
From molding to axle center line = 50mm

Rake = (50 + 15) - 18 = 47 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
steiny said:
I measured my P2 29 fork and came up with a rake of 47mm +/- 1mm. It was actually quite easy - I just leaned the fork up against a wall and made sure the steerer was parallel to the wall and the dropouts were equally distant from the molding.

From wall to steerer center line = 18mm
From wall to molding = 15mm
From molding to axle center line = 50mm

Rake = (50 + 15) - 18 = 47 :thumbsup:
Wow, sounds great. Thanks for doing that! The price of those might make it worth just trying out...

·
( )
755 Posts
so the P2 does have the magical 47mm rake. I emailed bikeman to ask them about the rake but they never wrote back. So apart from the inbred fork, this is the only 47mm offset production rigid fork? I know the monocog flight comes with one, but not sure it's available aftermarket. And not sure that green goes with anything but that green.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Do take into account the Inbred fork is 468-470mm, the Flight one is 474mm.
Which-ever suspension corrected 29" bike gets a 465-47mm fork will be spiced up quite a bit. Don't use it on a Niner or similar 100mm-corrected bike. No really, don't.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Do take into account the Inbred fork is 468-470mm, the Flight one is 474mm.
Which-ever suspension corrected 29" bike gets a 465-47mm fork will be spiced up quite a bit. Don't use it on a Niner or similar 100mm-corrected bike. No really, don't.
Um, wait a minute... The Niner SIR is designed for an 80mm fork. I'm sure that's the case for all Niner hardtails. (Just check out the geometry page where it mentions the fork size). Which is why it always struck me as odd that the rigid Niner fork has an A-C of 490mm. Considering that my suspension fork is often bottomed out while flying downhill, I can't see why a 465mm fork would be a bad thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.