Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody riding one of these or had one with a 140mm fork? Recently swapped out the Fox float 100rl with a Fox vanilla rlc. Love the way it rides now. If so what did you think and did the frame handle it? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
dstruct said:
Anybody riding one of these or had one with a 140mm fork? Recently swapped out the Fox float 100rl with a Fox vanilla rlc. Love the way it rides now. If so what did you think and did the frame handle it? Thanks
I have a 130mm 2005 Fox Vanilla on my old Hollowpoint. I switched to the Vanilla shortly after buying the bike new in late 2004. I was really happy with the Vanilla on this bike. (And I still am. I still have the bike, but do not ride it as much as I used to - I'm riding my MkIII more due to the fact that I have spare frame parts for it, whereas I have none for the older Hollowpoint.)

I broke two Hollowpoint front triangles at the top tube near the head tube weld. I doubt that the choice of fork had much to do with this breakage though. (No one complained about it when I was exercising the warranty.) Let me know if you want to see photos of those frame cracks...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KevinB- Yeah, i'd like to see those pics. Thanks. I have been pretty anal about scouring the frame for cracks after long rides. So far so good. I'v only been riding for 4 mos now and finding my riding style a bit more aggressive each time I go out. I hope the bike lasts for a while because I really like it. If I break it I will sadly move on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KevinB- Yeah, i'd like to see those pics. Thanks. I have been pretty anal about scouring the frame for cracks after long rides. So far so good. I'v only been riding for 4 mos now and finding my riding style a bit more aggressive each time I go out. I hope the bike lasts for a while because I really like it. If I break it I will sadly move on.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Hollowpoint cracks.

dstruct said:
KevinB- Yeah, i'd like to see those pics.
Here's the crack that I got in the original frame. The crack is in the top tube near the head tube weld. Although the crack is pretty obvious in this picture, I found it to be fairly hard to see with the naked eye. I was able to hear it before I was able to see it - I only noticed it after trying several times to locate the source of some creaking in the headset area.

Below is the crack, in roughly the same place, that appeared in the replacement frame. I didn't notice any creaking this time, and, as you can see, the crack is quite a lot worse than the crack that I had in my original frame. I found it when I was about to post to this forum something along the lines of "The replacement frame for my 2004 IH Hollowpoint is still going strong!" I went to my garage to take a quick look at the frame before posting and noticed the crack! Yeah, I guess I jinxed myself.

I've spoken with another member of this forum who told me that his '04 Hollowpoint cracked in the same location.

Aside from those cracks, I haven't had any other problems with the frame.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Nikhil42 said:
Do you ride it despite those cracks? I'd be too afraid of the bike falling apart on me...
I stop riding a bike as soon as I find a crack in the frame. It's not worth it to continue riding a bike with a cracked frame and then have it fail catastrophically at the worst possible time. In fact, it could be fatal.

In both cases, Iron Horse replaced the frame under warranty. As far as I know, the current frame has no cracks. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself again by saying that...)

I find it useful for other folks to post pictures of their frame breakage(s) because, assuming I have the same frame, that gives me an idea of where the problem areas are. I keep a closer watch on those areas... E.g. I inspect my MkIII's swingarm at the front drive-side weld after each ride. And, now that I've broken a MkIII front triangle, I'm doing frequent inspections of the weld at the bottom of the seat tube too. It seems likely that when my current '04 Hollowpoint frame cracks, it'll do so in roughly the same location as the other '04 frame failures that I've experienced.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Thanks for those pics! I'll be keeping an eye on that area, especially with a 140mm fork. So, you just found that crack yesterday? How hard did you ride that bike? maby i should be a little easier on this frame.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
dstruct said:
Wow! Thanks for those pics! I'll be keeping an eye on that area, especially with a 140mm fork. So, you just found that crack yesterday? How hard did you ride that bike?
I found the crack in the white frame in August of 2008. The crack in the gray frame was discovered early in 2006. As stated earlier, Iron Horse replaced both frames under warranty.

I estimate that I ride between 3000 to 4000 miles per year. I weigh just over 200 lbs. I've broken six frames in seven years of riding: 3 Specialized Enduro frames, 2 Iron Horse Hollowpoint frames, and one Iron Horse MkIII frame. The Iron Horse frames did better than the Specialized frames in terms of longevity. I managed to break 3 Specialized frames within two years of riding. It took me five years to break 3 IH frames.

The trails I ride are moderately rocky, but I don't do any big drops or hucks. I think fatigue is responsible for 5 of the 6 frame cracks that I've experienced. (The first frame that I cracked did so after only a couple of months of use. I think that frame was defective.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.