Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<< plz see attached image >>

I have been running Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tubeless tires for only about six weeks. Last week, after finishing a ride, one of my buddies asked "what's up with your rear tire?" I hadn't noticed anything strange, but there was a small bulge protruding out of the side of the tire. This bulge continued to grow while the bike was sitting in the back of my truck. When it reached about the size of a baseball, the tire popped. What caused this failure?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
CharacterZero said:
The sealant caused delamination. Return to Kenda for warranty...assuming it was a UST approved version.

It has happened occasionally (and documented here) on non-UST kendas.
Actually, Kenda will not warranty any of their tires if used with a liquid sealant.

I have seen Standard and tubeless tires blister like that, with and without sealant. The casing has delaminated enough to let the air leak through (which would not be a big issue when using inner tubes).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
shiggy said:
Actually, Kenda will not warranty any of their tires if used with a liquid sealant.

I have seen Standard and tubeless tires blister like that, with and without sealant. The casing has delaminated enough to let the air leak through (which would not be a big issue when using inner tubes).
I do not use any sealant in my tires, so it sounds like Kenda should stand behind it. I'll let you know what they say!

edited to add: I just got off the phone with Kenda customer service. They said the large majority of the failures they see are caused by sealants, which can make the casing delaminate. Since I wasn't using a sealant, they are standing behind it, and are going to take my old tire for R&D on the failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.