Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread, but I wanted to try here, since I know there a quite a few Trek HT riders in this subsection.

Anywho, I need to know if the BBG inner guard will fit on a 2014 Trek X-Caliber frame. I have heard that it is exactly the XC HT frames where this guard has fitment issues (hitting the chainstay).

Also, general comments about either the inner or outer BBG guard are welcome - Likes, dislikes, worst purchase ever, etc.

I am using these to make a 1x setup.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'm running them on 3 of my bikes. All are set up SS and 1x, so run on the outer ring position. They're light, cheap and strong. No complaints.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running them on 3 of my bikes. All are set up SS and 1x, so run on the outer ring position. They're light, cheap and strong. No complaints.
Good to know. Are you using the inner guard on your 1x? If so, what frame is that?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No, all run outer ring. I don't see any sense in running an inner ring when you're set up 1x (or 2x). Plus, it looks better running outside with the pretty design and colors. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, all run outer ring. I don't see any sense in running an inner ring when you're set up 1x (or 2x). Plus, it looks better running outside with the pretty design and colors. :D
Based on my research, it would seem that an inner guard would eliminate the need for a chainguide. That, when combined with the outer bashguard (making a bashwich as its been called), makes it impossible for the chain to jump off. Do you use a chainguide on your 1x? Whats your solution to the chain drop problem? Can it be remedied with a SS chainring?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Drop-Stop Chainrings

Clutch type rear derailleur also helps. I run a 1x on my commuter, so I don't need a chainguide. It is a SS ring, so no ramps, which helps. My MTB's are all SS.

If you're still wanting a chainguide, something like an ngear jumpstop would work just fine, coupled with an outer ring.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drop-Stop Chainrings

Clutch type rear derailleur also helps. I run a 1x on my commuter, so I don't need a chainguide. It is a SS ring, so no ramps, which helps. My MTB's are all SS.

If you're still wanting a chainguide, something like an ngear jumpstop would work just fine, coupled with an outer ring.
Those are good looking chainrings. I had my eye on a niner ringalicious that has variable width teeth. But one of those might be the way to go. Made in USA too... I know about the NGear jumpstop. Great piece of kit, but I'd love to keep stuff off the Seat tube if possible. I think Ill go wolf tooth chainring and bashwich from BBG. If you can't tell already, I like worry free design haha

·
Registered
421 Posts
Might not make the same difference on rocks, but going over big logs a smooth bash ring seems to work better for me than a jagged one. I like BBG guards. I run a 3X crank, substituting the guard for the outer ring.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm on my third BBG (no problems, just different sizes) and I'm a fan. That said, the oval version is quite a bit easier to bend versus the drilled. During one email exchange Erin said basically, "get out there and beat the snot outta it!." Gotta like that attitude. :thumbsup: Plus the one guy in a garage thing plus great CS, he gets my vote.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on my third BBG (no problems, just different sizes) and I'm a fan. That said, the oval version is quite a bit easier to bend versus the drilled. During one email exchange Erin said basically, "get out there and beat the snot outta it!." Gotta like that attitude. :thumbsup: Plus the one guy in a garage thing plus great CS, he gets my vote.
Good to know! I was just about to complete my order for the oval guard haha. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I did run a bashwich on my 1X9 but have gone to a NW ring. The bashwich worked great. You will need enough clearance at the granny position for a skinny 32T sized bash ring. It is only 16th thick. I had to give mine a very slight bend in for clearance.
It just fit on my steel frame - I really wonder if there would be room on an aluminum frame.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did run a bashwich on my 1X9 but have gone to a NW ring. The bashwich worked great. You will need enough clearance at the granny position for a skinny 32T sized bash ring. It is only 16th thick. I had to give mine a very slight bend in for clearance.
It just fit on my steel frame - I really wonder if there would be room on an aluminum frame.
I just put the bike up on a rack and laid under it to get the best view of the crankset. I could swear there is enough room. Erin said that after 2008 chainstays have been shaped to give more room, but its impossible to say without trying it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good to know! I was just about to complete my order for the oval guard haha. Thanks for the heads up
That's funny. I do like the looks of the oval better but I put the drilled through hell without issue. Function over form, and all that.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I have a scratched to hell drilled one on my hardtail, I'd say they're the best Alu bash rings around since they do what all the others do but for 1/3rd the price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts