Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Freezer

norm said:
Anybody riding the Freezer? Has anybody done this race before, and how did you like it? January can be cruel.
We've already got a bunch of sign-ups. Last year there were about 100 riders, and I think there will be the same or more... In reality we can't really handle too many more than that... I hope the weather is brutal. ;) It makes the event a lot more interesting, and more fun. There will be some stiff competition... frozen stiff, that is. :) Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Freezer

·
Registered
685 Posts
Some of my buddies raced last year, the race depends entirely on the weather before and during. Last year the weather was cold (around -10?) after a warm spell earlier in the week- Lots of ruts and horsetracks had frozen, making for a rough ride. I don't think there was a lot of snow on the ground last year, either. They had fun, though!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Freezer

nogearshere said:
single speed division?
Guys have been on single-speeds in past events, but it's not easy... I used mine (Kaboom) to mark/clear the course and it almost killed me...
Categories? Only two: Male survivors, Female survivors. That is all.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm In!

I raced it last year for the first time and had a blast.

On-site hot chocolate, a time-trial-style starting tent and everyone there had a great attitude because of the conditions. I would highly recommend multiple gears and full suspension though. It's hilly and can get VERY bumpy.

I can't wait for this year's race. It's the first on my list for the year! I'm just trying to figure out how I can fit a Liberty! jersey over 4 layers of clothing :)

Cheers,
Dan

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I am interested, but will likely forget/ not bother :rolleyes:

It's definitely an event for the hardcore. I have tried riding in snow, and it is definitely not easy. Just walking by my (still muddy) bike in the cold garage, i noticed my air shocks have a very different (for the worse) feel to them...

I really hope to be able to participate in the series this summer though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Postponed

kgwisdek said:
We've already got a bunch of sign-ups. Last year there were about 100 riders, and I think there will be the same or more... In reality we can't really handle too many more than that... I hope the weather is brutal. ;) It makes the event a lot more interesting, and more fun. There will be some stiff competition... frozen stiff, that is. :) Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Freezer
Plan B in effect. The Freezer has been postponed to Sunday 15 Jan. The weather is just looking too warm on the 8th. For details see Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Freezer

·
Registered
443 Posts
Freezer Postponed

Kurt would you consider trying again on the 22nd if next Sunday doesn't work out either?

I know you usually only try once to reschedule the race and I can only imagine the logistical nightmares of putting it off, but I know there are lots of people this year really hoping it goes off. It's such a fun event we would all hate to see it not happen.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not ruled out

ddakin said:
Kurt would you consider trying again on the 22nd if next Sunday doesn't work out either?

I know you usually only try once to reschedule the race and I can only imagine the logistical nightmares of putting it off, but I know there are lots of people this year really hoping it goes off. It's such a fun event we would all hate to see it not happen.

Cheers,
Dan
Hi Dan,
Well, I won't rule that out, although, it's not my preference... Let's just cross our fingers for cold weather on the 15th, for now... Is there some kind of winter weather god we can chant to? I'm hopeful it will go,
Kurt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Freezer is a GO for Sunday 15 January. 9:00am Start time. The weather is looking about as cold as it is going to get this January... So, we are making it happen. Sign-up and come out!

kgwisdek said:

·
Registered
148 Posts
2nd Postponement!

kgwisdek said:
The Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Freezer is a GO for Sunday 15 January. 9:00am Start time. The weather is looking about as cold as it is going to get this January... So, we are making it happen. Sign-up and come out!
Last Minute Plan Change: The Freezer is being postponed until Sunday 22 January. See the site for details. Please inform other participants. The trail conditions are just too wet to be rideable on the 15th, and the weather does not look like it is going to be cold enough to freeze to ground. We're bummed, but we will try again on the 22nd.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Freezer

Wow Kurt, this weather is crazy eh? Who would have thought you could have 2 (hopefully not 3) consecutive warm weekends in January!

My fingers and toes are crossed for the 22nd.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's done.

kgwisdek said:
Last Minute Plan Change: The Freezer is being postponed until Sunday 22 January. See the site for details. Please inform other participants. The trail conditions are just too wet to be rideable on the 15th, and the weather does not look like it is going to be cold enough to freeze to ground. We're bummed, but we will try again on the 22nd.
Super-bummed. The Freezer is cancelled for 2006. The weather is just not co-operating... and the trails are way too soggy. Check the event site for details. We'll try again next year....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.